Nuclear power

UK lost an interconnecting cable with France the other day in a fire.
Are you satisfied to depend on a cable?

Ireland is far too backward and shortsighted to even contemplate nuclear power plants being constructed

2 Likes

There you have it… A cable goes on fire no one is really harmed. A nuclear plant goes up it could wipe out the whole island. The issue is not nuclear power as such, but nuclear safety.

Cable on fire and no one harmed is an assumption, no cable = brown outs or black outs. Such events can lead to deaths.

French have 56 operational reactors and no drama

1 Like

I mean, do we want to inflict a Netflix series on the world with fake Irish accents battling a nuclear meltdown? Oh begosh and begorra …

2 Likes

Can we not just build a pipe line so? Is that what you’re advocating?

Brendan Gleeson in the lead role, a drunken power plant superintendent

2 Likes

Imagine Mick Martin dealing with a nuclear fall out :smiley:

Ye can forget about takeaway pints.

1 Like

Paddy’s attitude to Nuclear is akin to the Tibetan who do not eat meat because they are forbidden from slaughtering Yaks, the Tibetan is however allowed to eat dead meat, if for example a Yak ‘fell off a cliff’ - then the Yak can be eaten by the Tibetan - lots of Yaks fall off cliffs in Tibet
likewise Paddy is happy to use electricity derived from nuclear power but only if he does not run or maintain the nuclear power plant on the sacred Island

7 Likes

Yak powered electricity. Sounds good to me.

it has to happen and the sooner the better

How long and how much would it take to go nuclear? Do we even have any Nuclear experts in the country? I presume we’d have to fund a programme to develop some of our own experts first and for them to gain years of experience abroad first and foremost? We’d have to get through all the political stuff also and chip away educating the public… Not to mind building the plant and everything involved there.
What timeline would you put on it if we started now?

at least 25 years

Tipp is the obvious place to build it. It’s already home to mutants and lads with 14 fingers…

1 Like

Seemingly we have too little power demand to justify nuclear. We would need two separate plants to reliably produce enough energy as plants need regular shutdowns for maintenance and we would then produce way too much energy. We need more interlinks either way.

The relationship with France is the way to go, solar, wind and tidal generators are broadly speaking a waste of time and money

1 Like

That’s too sensible a post. This is a thread for sticking the boot into Paddy and shaming yaks.

I believe we are on generation 4 reactors. All those disasters were based on gen 1 or 2 reactors built pre 1990. None the less it’ll never happen in ireland due to NIMBYism

You can’t process it through the air

Also hickley point in Bristol currently under construction will cost ÂŁ25bn. With the cost of capital and the interest you are talking maybe ÂŁ40bn over its lifetime.

Imagine if paddy built it. It will cost €100bn euro. No way we can afford it with paddy economics