NZ, UK, US, Sweden, Poland & Cheese eating surrender Monkeys approaches to Covid-19

They will lock down NYC in the morning

The US has pretty much the same problem Ireland has with the UK, except worse. Decisions on restrictions are made at a local level, not a federal level. A city can effectively shut down but it can’t stop people coming in from outside.

I fully expect NYC and LDN to be locked down by the end of the week. My hunch is Bojo and Boris are putting all their eggs in the antibody basket, they are both opportunists who want to showcase their fiefdoms so were slow to react but events are moving quicker than they guesstimated and there hand will be forced

their

There there buddy

Does Johnson have a touch of the Andy Gorams about him?

Are bojo and Boris not the same person? This is like when I found out I was the only person who didn’t know Jack and John were interchangeable for JFK.

1 Like

This is a brilliant article. Thank you for finding it. It’s good to see the sort of batshit crazy stuff out there that you would never encounter elsewhere.

You’d never guess she’s from Balbriggan.

Uggghhhhh, A quick scan of the comments was enough to have me shut it down asap.

This doesn’t seem to make much sense. If you shut some stations, people will just go to other nearby ones. If you reduce the amount of trains it just makes the ones still in operation more crowded. Fewer buses too which means they’ll be more crowded.

It’s economics innit, mate?

There were some posters here who thought Trump had taken this crisis more seriously than Italy. Which obviously explains why the US is, ridiculously belatedly, being forced to bulk import testing kits from Italy.

They are phasing them out. All will be shut down by Monday. They maintained some schools will still be operating for those who are needed to cambat the virus, they might come up with something similar for transport in London. Either way anything other that a complete shutdown in all non essential sectors strikes me as a flawed policy

You can’t shut down public transport. How are doctors, nurses, and other health care workers going to get to work? The approach here is the correct one, public transport is still running but everyone other than health care and essential services have been told to stay at home and only go out if they need food or have an emergency. Most people can practice a reasonable level of safe separation when they are out and about, especially if they are few out and about.

Subsidised taxis. Theres plenty who’ll volonteer too

Not practical at least not now in large cities and clusters of cities. There are nearly 7 million here in an area not much bigger than county Galway. We could certainly transition to other options in time, but anything that slows down health care workers getting to or from work is counterproductive, they have enough to be worrying about.

It’s not just practical but essential

Nope, what’s essential is that people follow the rules, stay at home unless you have to go out, and stay a safe distance from people when you go out. Health care workers know and follow the rules, the last thing they need is to be in a taxi or car with someone who may be infected.

If there’s any good news here it’s that some of the practices that people are developing should be here to stay, and hopefully limit future pandemics. Sadly the communal eating and kissing and hugging cultural things have to go, and personal hygiene needs to be hammered into kids from an early age.

Without any stricter lockdowns, you’d have to think the above would greatly reduce the speed of spread of any infectious disease.

1 Like