Obese Ireland

[QUOTE=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 1135714, member: 686”]+1

Banned in this dwelling.[/QUOTE]

+1

[QUOTE=“Bandage, post: 1135737, member: 9”]Some splendid anecdotes and memories being shared here.

My dear mother is fairly clueless when it comes to diet, nutrition and healthy eating and it’s a source of regular mild conflict between her and my sister.

My Mam picks up my nephew from school and my sister generally prepares healthy dishes similar to those mentioned by Chef @Fran for him and drops them to my folks’ place in advance.

Then she’ll drop by to collect him after work and it’ll often be a case of “he didn’t want the stew so I made him some frozen mini-pizzas and chicken nuggets instead” or something. My sister’s response is generally “Mam, it’s great you offer to collect him from school but please give him the food I’ve prepared. He’s 7 so don’t let him dictate to you - we don’t want him eating unhealthy processed food.”

You’d see her then giving him chocolate, sweets and bits of cake and stuff without him even asking for it. She’ll say “ah he’s a good boy and it’s a little treat for him” if challenged on it.

Bless her - she has no idea. No wonder I grew tits as a teenager.[/QUOTE]
Tits are alright, pal. It’s who you let fondle them is the problem.

[ATTACH=full]2788[/ATTACH]

you would easily buy a good dinner in aldi or one of those places for 4 euro-- veg is practically given away in there, throw in a few fish fingers and a tin of beans and you are on the way to giving your family something edible that is not going to kill them slowly and all that stands in the way of that over 2 frozen pizzas is bone idle fucking laziness.

there’s the same amount of sugar in a can of bean as there is in a can of coke or close enough

a spoon of beans never killed anyone.

its riddled with sugar

Exactly. It comes down to education too. 10 years ago or that I thought a flake of baby spuds, chicken kiev and a tin of beans was a healthy dinner. Unless you’re interested to know, its not plastered everywhere or at least it used not be. Low fat this and natural that which is marketed as being great for you is often shite.

the discussion here is around trying to get families to stop killing their kids. you are looking at this from a body fat perspective. its different perspective but again a spoon of beans will not kill you

it boils down to this, if it grows, flies, swims or runs, ate it, everything else is shite

[QUOTE=“HBV*, post: 1135813, member: 234”]the discussion here is around trying to get families to stop killing their kids. you are looking at this from a body fat perspective. its different perspective but again a spoon of beans will not kill you[/QUOTE]sugar is the number one problem here, baked beans is full of sugar, you picked a poor example

im not backing down here. ill bend slightly and agree they may contain sugar but put a spoon of beans on a plater with some veg a few spuds and a fish finger or two and its cheaper than a frozen pizza and in the direction of better eating. im not advocating this as good ating but it is an option for scumbags who will claim to have no money to feed their offspring.
i wouldnt feed my own gang that but then again i dont need to

sugar will be the equivalent of what smoking was to our parent’s generation in so far as they say they didn’t know the damage it was doing to them…I’d say the majority of us are addicted to sugar without even realising it…its in fookin everything

+1

Aside: glad your still alive mate, I feared for yourself and the missus after the clonroche news earlier in the week.

Stupid fuckers.

[QUOTE=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 1135872, member: 686”]+1

Aside: glad your still alive mate, I feared for yourself and the missus after the clonroche news earlier in the week.[/QUOTE]

Just found out this evening the father of the child she left behind was in my class in primary school :frowning:

And some of us think we have problems

If anyone thinks we have it bad here or that it is difficult in Ireland to eat well you are totally wrong. We have the best of fresh produce mostly grown, caught or killed locally freely available everywhere. There is massive education and awareness on nutrition now and bar you’re living under a rock should have a good idea of what is good or bad. You can buy fruit and veg for a song in some places so people can’t totally use affordability card either. It comes down to lazyness and plumping for the easier ready made option over good nutritional food.

I was in America last year and we’ve all heard how bad it is with food there but my word it really has to be seen to believed. It is ingrained deep in their society that food is something that you should enjoy and should taste good first and foremost. Everywhere you turn its fast food, ribs, pretzels, hot dogs, nachos, coca cola, dunkin doughnuts, pizza. It is extremely hard to find genuine good healthy stuff eating out, opposite to what you see on Irish menus now. In one week my metabolism was all fucked up, shitting twice or three times daily when i am strictly a once a day man, plus constant lethargy brought on by taking on too many calories.

I went into a supermarket and again everything was processed or in a box or container of some sort, all full of sugar or salt. Even the fruit didn’t look good, big shiny red apples that you wouldn’t see growing on a tree in an orchard you’d be robbing from as a young fella, more like something manufactured in a lab. I shudder thinking about. Its a really rotten society for food and the big money manufacturers have the politicians in their pocket so there is no desire for change. Something that really troubled me that I picked up on was say if you’re watching NFL or NBA and you get all these ads very often, all the ads are taco bell, Wendy’s, burger king launching a new burger, pizza huts new triple decker pizza etc etc. You have kids watching sports and idolising these sports players and they are seeing these ads between plays normalising this culture of eating junk. You have shows like man v food and theres 30 people egging and cheering him on like its an accomplishment to eat 15 burgers in 30mins. Its really fucked up their culture.

[QUOTE=“Tess Tickle, post: 1136006, member: 2269”]If anyone thinks we have it bad here or that it is difficult in Ireland to eat well you are totally wrong. We have the best of fresh produce mostly grown, caught or killed locally freely available everywhere. There is massive education and awareness on nutrition now and bar you’re living under a rock should have a good idea of what is good or bad. You can buy fruit and veg for a song in some places so people can’t totally use affordability card either. It comes down to lazyness and plumping for the easier ready made option over good nutritional food.

I was in America last year and we’ve all heard how bad it is with food there but my word it really has to be seen to believed. It is ingrained deep in their society that food is something that you should enjoy and should taste good first and foremost. Everywhere you turn its fast food, ribs, pretzels, hot dogs, nachos, coca cola, dunkin doughnuts, pizza. It is extremely hard to find genuine good healthy stuff eating out, opposite to what you see on Irish menus now. In one week my metabolism was all fucked up, shitting twice or three times daily when i am strictly a once a day man, plus constant lethargy brought on by taking on too many calories.

I went into a supermarket and again everything was processed or in a box or container of some sort, all full of sugar or salt. Even the fruit didn’t look good, big shiny red apples that you wouldn’t see growing on a tree in an orchard you’d be robbing from as a young fella, more like something manufactured in a lab. I shudder thinking about. Its a really rotten society for food and the big money manufacturers have the politicians in their pocket so there is no desire for change. Something that really troubled me that I picked up on was say if you’re watching NFL or NBA and you get all these ads very often, all the ads are taco bell, Wendy’s, burger king launching a new burger, pizza huts new triple decker pizza etc etc. You have kids watching sports and idolising these sports players and they are seeing these ads between plays normalising this culture of eating junk. You have shows like man v food and theres 30 people egging and cheering him on like its an accomplishment to eat 15 burgers in 30mins. Its really fucked up their culture.[/QUOTE]

Your dead right on the States And don’t forget portion sizes. I was in LA a year or so ago and to a rib restaurant and the fucking portions were huge, I ordered a starter of garlic mushrooms and there were 30 of them on the plate for a starter, then I had the ribs for mains and they must have been from a dinosaur or something the size of them And that’s not including the sides that came with it. Then there is the free refills as well. no point irdering a salad either because there fucking huge as well and come with all sorts of crap on the side. No wonder they are fucked.

You’ll hear roasters coming home from a trip to the states telling you that the “steak is savage over there”.

Cattle pumped with sex hormones, steaks marinated msg flavouring…

The food and farming guys have some lobby power over there.

Any of the farmers like to comment on eating chicken that is not labelled organic - I was told it was pumped full of anti biotics

A block of Kerrygold in the US is 10 dollars in one of those Whole Foods stores - grass fed for the bullet proof coffees