Official 2011 All Ireland Hurling Championship Thread

Have to agree. There were some great moments but KK almost struggled to beat a mediocre Tipp team with one ball-winning forward.

Ever heard of Bret Hart?

The people’s choice once again :clap:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2011/0905/hurling_kilkenny_tipperary.html

Monday, 5 September 2011 17:30

Sunday’s All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship final attracted the second highest ever viewership for an All Ireland Hurling Final, peaking at 1.1million viewers in the final minutes of the match as Kilkenny won out against Tipperary.
An average audience of 971,000 viewers tuned in to the gripping game from throw-in to final whistle on RTÉ’s The Sunday Game Live.
As the Cats battled to secure their fifth title in six years, 866,000 people tuned in for full coverage of the game including analysis and reviews with RTÉ’s panelists Cyril Farrell, Liam Sheedy and Tomás Mulcahy.

RTÉ’s coverage of the All-Ireland Senior Hurling final ranks as the highest rating sports event on television this year to-date and attracted the fifth highest audience of any programme this year in Ireland.

by the same token SO and Turenne, it was the same for Tipps win last year. KK were absolute shit in that game, with no forward being effective, and they missed a heap of frees, yet with there was only 4 on it at the 69th minute. it wasnt the open free flowing game hoped for, if Tipp had turned up with thier form of last year it would have been good. But Kk got some great scores and Tipp were over reliant on handy frees to keep them in it.

And you can add another 10% to that to take account of the 81,000 people who were actually at the match.

Anyone watching the news there? John Mulhall singing on stage in Kilkenny. One of his lyrics was “JJ doesn’t even have a job.” :lol: :clap: :smiley:

These two sides must be two of the most accurate ever to play the game. For all the ferocity yesterday there were only 10 wides. Tipp only hit three. Kilkenny hit 7 and 3 of those were bad wides from play by Henry Shefflin. [quote=“Gman, post: 593814”]
by the same token SO and Turenne, it was the same for Tipps win last year. KK were absolute shit in that game, with no forward being effective, and they missed a heap of frees, yet with there was only 4 on it at the 69th minute. it wasnt the open free flowing game hoped for, if Tipp had turned up with thier form of last year it would have been good. But Kk got some great scores and Tipp were over reliant on handy frees to keep them in it.
[/quote]

I knew there must be some reason why he was on the panel, he must have some serious dirt on Cody to have actually got a few minutes yesterday

That’s one of the main reasons why these two are a step ahead of the rest. Aimless wides and the poor use of possession has cost teams like Waterford and Galway at least 1 all-ireland in the past 15 years

I hate to have to say this, but on consideration, Tommy Walsh was the best player on the pitch yesterday.

I’d have to agree, he had an unbelievable first half and really set up the platform for the win. He was never going to reach the same levels in the 2nd half because Tipp weren’t going to hit the ball anwhere near him. He still managed to clear up a good bit of ball in and around the full back line and his composure and intelligent clearance was instrumental in Hogan’s goal

Tommy has probably overtaken Brian Whelehan as the best 5 in the history of the game.

Did Shane McGrath puck another ball after being hit this shoulder by Fennelly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VihNkIQNwoY

Doubt it. And he was removed at ht. For Benny Dunne. Benny Dunne. [quote=“chewy louie, post: 593823”]
Did Shane McGrath puck another ball after being hit this shoulder by Fennelly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VihNkIQNwoY

[/quote]

[quote=“Bandage, post: 593765”]
Gman referenced the point Colin Fennelly got when he won the ball back himself under the Cusack Stand in the second half. A similar example of their workrate and intensity that I loved was an early Richie Power point - think it made it 0-4 to nil - when Michael Fennelly sickened Shane McGrath with a shoulder and he coughed up the ball before it was worked to Power to slap over.[/quote]

[quote=“chewy louie, post: 593823”]
Did Shane McGrath puck another ball after being hit this shoulder by Fennelly[/quote]

That’s the one. Talk about making a statement of intent, laying down markers etc. Boom and yer done, as Flano might say.

To be fair to him that was a bit of a hospital pass from Maher, let Fennelly line him up from a long way off. In general Shane McGrath hasn’t managed to recover the form he showed in 08 and 09 though. A mediocre year for him again. Just doesn’t have the energy he had back then.

I had no intention of going to langtons given that I’m getting knee surgery in 2 weeks.

So with that in mind, greetings from Langtons.

Just talked to our future hurler of the year. Pretty coherent for this stage of proceedings.

Tommy on the other hand… :pint:

Also talked to a brother of one of the players there. :pint: :pint:

I’m way too sober for here.
Stupid knee :frowning:

So would you say that Tommy doesn’t know what day it is?

How can he be saved?
From the eternal grave.

Well done on this fine achievement. Particularly impressed that you got to talk to a brother of one of the players. Outstanding stuff.