Official 2011 All Ireland Hurling Championship Thread

I agree with you for the most part. Getting 5 lads their debuts and having a win like that is a great place to be. Davy is doing alot of things right in terms of structures and bringing lads in and getting them prepared for Championship. Thats where it ends though and i don’t think he’s good on the line and is terrible with the media. I’m pretty much convinced Waterford could win an All-Ireland soon enough, but won’t do it with Davy. If they had O’ Grady i think they’d win one.

Your dismissal of Cork is hilarious, based on pretty much nothing. Right now there is nothing between Cork & Waterford as recent history showed. Waterford though are fitter and have a better management structure in terms of preperation. Thats really catching Cork, they are being caught at the end o games for gas. The training is still not up to scratch. Cork were blown away by Tipp near the end, and lost 4 league games by a point, 3 of which they led nearing the end. This allied to collapses at Minor & U-21 last year when cruising to wins is a worrying trend. All teams are getting their Strength & Conditioning from the one source. :rolleyes:

Turenne has explained it to you, and i believe they regret their actions in relation to hurling now. They are actually coming back though and wona U-14 or 15 “A” title last year.

But the positives for waterford are bigger than the one game Bando. 5 newcomers is a serious draft of players, 1/3rd of the team. Thats massively positive.

I expect both Cork and waterford to be very competitive come August/September. The draw is important, but both or either side going further than KK would not surprise me. KK are still well capable of beating either and with a few points to spare, but either beating KK would not shock me. No argument on Tipp, its theirs to lose.

Tipp especially, but a few other teams would ask far more serious questions of KK than Wexford did. They pretty much coasted a lot of the game on Saturday and the few times that Jacob and Sinnott especially posed problems, they looked decidedly dodgy in the FB line, Tipp would have a field day there. You can’t write them off, but the thing I’d wonder about is whether Henry and a few others will last the whole season. There’s a high possibility that Henry’s cruciate could go again, particuarly as I can’t see that he’s had enough time to recover properly. A few more injuries, and they seem to be a problem for KK at the moment, and they could be in serious trouble, especially in more high intensity games against better teams.

Wexford conceded a stupid amount of frees in midfield and the HB line which other teams won’t do. Granted it was an 11 point win, but I just can’t see KK lasting the distance this year.

Serious crack going on in Offaly. I believe this is only the start of it too

Furious Dooley’s letter of intent
By friend of the forum Diarmuid O’Flynn

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

AS if things weren’t bad enough in Offaly hurling — a season-long injury list that saw several players operated on, relegation to Division 2 on the last day of the Allianz Hurling League — this week the county has been rocked by news of a letter from senior hurling manager Joe Dooley to county secretary Martin Boland outlining a list of grievances.

The letter was triggered by a series of incidents when the team turned up for training at O’Connor Park, the impressively renovated county ground in Tullamore, on Saturday last, but, claims Dooley, that was just the final straw.

“We wish to very strongly register our annoyance at the treatment received today in O’Connor Park when we arrived for a training session,” it begins, "As a result of the way we were received, from gates being locked all over the place, to players and mentors being asked to leave the field, to not being allowed even walk across the field, to the threat of cars being removed from outside the ground, we had no other choice but to call off training.

“This is not a satisfactory situation given we have our most important game in two weeks’ time.”

According to the team manager, this is an ongoing problem. “This type of treatment has been an ongoing issue all year,” he continued, "and today it came to a head when all involved agreed we have had enough.

“This is the last thing anyone wanted or needed but it was collectively felt that we were left with no other choice. It is very clear to all involved that throughout this year and last that we are not wanted in O’Connor Park. Every reason seems to be used to keep us out of the pitch or off the pitch during training sessions.”

He went on to outline the sacrifices being made by the players in order to play for Offaly: “Today players travelled from Dublin and other locations and everyone has been doing this with the interests of Offaly hurling to the fore since last December. We have trained in sub-zero temperatures and a number of players have undergone surgery and have been out of work and so on as a result of injuries sustained playing for Offaly and to arrive today and be treated in this way is just not good enough. Having a great facility like O’Connor Park is no advantage if our teams are not afforded the use of these facilities to prepare for big championship games in a spirit of support and cooperation.”

Finally he made the three points: “1) That no further requests will be made by Offaly senior hurlers for the use of O’Connor Park; 2) That serious consideration be given by the county board and the clubs of Offaly to the staging of some league games in Birr; 3) Request the support of clubs to make their facilities available for Offaly senior hurlers for training sessions.”

The letter was then signed by Joe Dooley, Brian Carroll, Brendan Kelly (selector), Tony Murphy (team secretary), Francis Forde (coach), Shane Dooley (captain), Joe Bergin (vice-captain) and Pat McLoughney (selector).

The past decade has seen the hurling season rocked on an annual basis by crisis after crisis in different counties — three times in Cork, several times in Limerick, Clare (twice), Waterford. This year it’s been all rosey in the garden — until now.

At a time when the GAA is already facing several contentious issues, including attendance levels/pricing, continued officiating controversy, the last thing it needs is yet another hurling crisis, but that’s what it’s got, and on the face of it at least, it would appear that Joe Dooley has just cause for complaint.

Last night Martin stated that he was on holiday, knew nothing about the letter; county chairman Pat Teehan said he had no comment to make, that the matter would be dealt with internally, through the normal channels.

This appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Tuesday, June 14,

Proper order. Can’t have them Mulla’s roughing up the pitch ahead of the big game on Saturday.

Wont matter, all of Offaly is a bog anyway.

What is it with Kilkenny players throwing hurls? Was it Jackie Tyrell threw his at Lar as he scored a goal in the final last year? In the 65th minute of the game on Saturday, Malachy Travers scored a point as a hurl was, well, hurled at him by a KK player I couldn’t identify. Canning and Cyril obviously didn’t see it, neither did the ref of linesmen, but its a yellow card offence AFAIK. Its a disgusting practice, the hurling equivalent of spitting (I had a hurl thrown at me once during a minor game as I lined up a point, hit me just above the right eye).

Did you put it over anyway?

I threw a hurl at a lad one day u-12. Had forgotten about it until reminded some months back in the PBH.

I only found out much years later that it was only a yellow card offence.

Not just a Kilkenny thing Fitzy.
Off the top of my head, Eoin Kelly W had a hurl thrown at him in the Munster semi vs Cork in 2007. Eoin Larkin had the same against Waterford in 2008 Final for third goal. Tommy had his tomahawk in 2009 League final. I think gardiner threw one at Eddie in the semi last year too. And I think it was Tennyson who threw it at Corbett.

It’s becoming more prevalent. It’s an automatic yellow too. Maybe if you make it an automatic red it stops. That sounds a bit radical though.

I’ll never forget the time Seán Óg flung his into the Hogan and tried to maim any number of people. This was where it begun. Had he been banned for life, we’d never have this problem now.

Brian Corcoran?

Ah fuck, that ruined my stirring post :lol:

You are correct of course, my mistake.

Its a fucking disgusting practice cluaindiuic, seriously needs to be stamped out. You’re right about Tennyson, I apologise to Jackie Tyrell for any distress caused.

Of course I didn’t KIB Man, I was a fucking useless hurler sorrounded by utter utter brilliance in the HWH Bunclody teams I played on.

You throwing a hurl somehow does not surprise me, for shame sir, for shame.

The PBH :clap:

A wonderful, wonderful establishment.

Would you do the auld wan with the tats, KIB?

I’m exactly the same height as a shelf in the PBH

Would you do the auld wan with the tats, The Runt?

Fair counter arguments. The change in management has potential to unsettle them but they seem to be motoring along okay at the moment. More relevant is possibly Tipp’s propensity to get carried away with themselves. I think they’re a very strong squad though.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 591751”]But the positives for waterford are bigger than the one game Bando. 5 newcomers is a serious draft of players, 1/3rd of the team. Thats massively positive.

I expect both Cork and waterford to be very competitive come August/September. The draw is important, but both or either side going further than KK would not surprise me. KK are still well capable of beating either and with a few points to spare, but either beating KK would not shock me. No argument on Tipp, its theirs to lose.
[/quote]

But that’s assuming all the 5 are good enough and it also requires the more experienced players to possess enough quality and leadership themselves to ease the young players’ integration into the team. I’d have my doubts on both counts. I’d even fancy Wexford to beat them being truthful.

A few points/observations:
League form is not a guide to championship, they are as different as night and day. Dublin are no where near the standard required to contend for an all ireland yet alone win. The spine of their team is well below the required standard and you simply can not contend unless you have enough star quality in these positions. Let us not forget that they were beaten by antrim in the championship last year and have not improved measurably year over year. They have added o’dwyer and keaney, but they will be found wanting as the pace of championship hurling increases. This was plain to see against offally and i feel that it will be more pronounced as the summer progresses. What dublin do have is a panel of 22/23 players of a decent standard. They will be competitive but thats as far as it goes im my opinion.

The best guide to this years championship is last years championship. the best two games played last year were the quarter final between galway and tipp and the final between tipp and kilkenny. both these games were of a serious high standard and played with great intensity. The top teams are now being trained to peak for the latter stages of the championship and so early season form must be taken with a pinch of salt. The championship wont start in earnest till we get to knockout, and while the early championship fair has being enjoyable so far it is no where near what we can expect from the top teams at the business end.

I feel in hindsight that kilkenny’s star is far from waining. They played the final last year without their centreback and centreforward for all intents and purposes. Had those two being 100% right, i suggest that the result may have being different. Yes, some of their once in a generation type players such as JJ Delaney, Henry Shefflin and Eddie Brennan are in the twilight of an illustrious playing career but they still have a part to play. More significantly, Tommy Walsh, Michael Fennelly and Richie Power are approaching their peak and are more than capable of taking up the slack. Having these three players in midfield, half back and half forward line gives them a considerable edge over many other teams. Yes the full back line looked vulnerable at times versus wexford, but so too did tipp’s versus cork. Again, i refer to point one, and suggest that early season form be taken for what it is.

I feel that Galway are greatly underestimated as is their manager. From the outside looking in, they look to have progressed year over year. They could easily beaten tipp last year and that form is head and shoulders better than what many other counties bring to the table. The spine of their team looks good (injuries permitting) with Kavanagh at fullback, Regan at Centreback, Burke (midfield) and Canning (fullfoward). The fact that Portuma were knocked out of club championship early is a big positive as it give Joe Canning the opportunity to clear up the niggly injuries that looked to be affecting him last year. In any team sport, if you are blessed with the best player you always have a chance and in my opinion Joe Canning is ther best hurler around at present.

Tipp are still the team to beat, but whether some of their players are as hungry for a second all irealnd as they were for their first will largely determine whether they can win back to back all irelands. this is a question that wont be answered untill the semi final stage.

Its very hard to look beyond the big three of Tipp, Kilkenny and Galway. The best outsider is waterford. Whatever people’s opinion’s of davy Fitz are, there can be little doubt that the man is a coach of some substance. The team he has now, is a world apart from the one he inherited. he has not got nearly half the credit he deserves for this transformation. Their achilles heel is trying to find a full back. Maybe young fives will be the answer here? There is some serious young talent coming through in waterford and they are lucky to have a manager capable of harneshing this talent. I see waterford getting to a semi final at the very least, but an all ireland at this point in time may just be beyond them. I definitely see them winning an all ireland in the next 5 years.

Predictions
Semis: Kilkenny V Waterford
Tipp V Galway

Final: Kilkenny V Galway

Winner: Galway (KP and Laz, keep the faith B)

http://www.galwayhurling.com/news/51284/L_L_L_N

The Galway team for game versus Dublin in Saturdays Leinster Championship semi-final is as follows:

James Skehill
(Cappataggle)

Damien Joyce (Capt) David Collins Fergal Moore
(Cappataggle) (Liam Mellows) (Turloughmore

Shane Kavanagh Tony Og Regan Adrian Cullinane
(Kinvara) (Rahoon-Newcastle) (Craughwell)

Barry Daly David Burke
(Clarenbridge) (St. Thomas)

Eanna Ryan Cyril Donnellan Joe Gantley
(Killimordaly) (Padraig Pearses) (Beagh)

Damien Hayes Joe Canning Aonghus Callanan
(Portumna) (Portumna) (Liam Mellows)

This sides sees 4 changes from the side that started against Westmeath. Coming in are Shane Kavanagh, Tony Og Regan, Eanna Ryan and Joe Canning, while being replaced are Johnny Coen, John Lee, Kevin Hynes and Andy Smith. Incidently, the 4 new guys were our 4 subs that came on against Westmeath.

On a further comparision, the team has 9 same starters from the side that played against Tipperary last year. The 6 lads not starting for various reasons are Colm Callanan, Ollie Canning, Donal Barry, Ger Farragher, Andy Smith and Iarla Tannian. While the lads starting this game are James Skehill, Fergal Moore, Adrian Cullinane, Barry Daly, Joe Gantley and Aonghus Callanan.

I would presume that those who keep harping back to the fact that Antrim beat the Dubs last year didn’t see the match. It was daylight robbery and a game the Dubs dominated for 60 minutes before they emptied the bench and got suckerpunched, I wouldn’t draw too many conclusions into it

What’s up with Donal Barry this season? I was fairly impressed with him last year.