Official 2011 All Ireland Hurling Championship Thread

i take it that means you were happy for the sunday world to follow you at neil diamond

Paddy Hogan’s yellow was exactly that, he was fully committed to it and his man side stepped at the very last moment and was caught off balance, no malice in it at all and a yellow card and nothing more

Tyrell’s was a yellow as well, again the Dublin player- Maurice O’Brien I believe- threw the ball up too high and was reaching to collect him, Tyrell met him but it wasn’t a cynical body check which we have seen from Jackie in the past as he was coming side on, again another yellow

You dont even know a member of the greatest hurling team of all time. FFS :lol:

As someone who apparently works in the legal profession I presume you understand the difference between the definitive should, and the probable could. Do you actually have to represent people in court Art?

Dublin were missing too many key players today and it showed against a fully charged Kilkenny. A QF awaits most likely against Limerick or Cork and Dublin should fear neither of those teams. Could prove a blessing in disguise that Galway avoided KK today as it wouldn’t have ended well.

I was in Pearse last night, Galway were on a different level to Clare. First real good perfomrmance of the year from them and just in the nick of time too. People are going on about Joes goal but the control Kerins displayed for his goal after the peach of a ball in for Farragher was even better imho. Kerins always seems to produce something with the posession he gets and he loves to go roaming down the field. That tactic worked a treat for Clarenbridge and dould bring another dimension to Galway this year. Damien Hayes was also back to something near his best last night and he, Joe and David Burke in particular played with a panache that suggests maybe the penny has dropped and a repeat of the Dublin ‘performance’ would not be tolerated again. Galways full back line is looking the real deal more and more every game, Skehill hasn’t had a shot to deal with his last 140 minutes of hurling, even still he looks more a complete keeper this time around. Davy Collins was particularly brilliant last night I thought

I’d say Galway will go again with the team that started yesterday for next week. Tannion was sluggish but will come on a lot for last nights game. Maybe Cullinane could do with the chop as he was the only one yesterday who didn’t appear to be ‘on message’. A nice performance and a good win and lads playing again with a bit of pride in the jersey, fellas getting back into the scoring habit is the main positive from Salthill It was a beautiful conitions for hurling with some great points. No’s 8-15 all scored from open play last night even Andy Smith :o There the positives end though as delving into the game too much is pointless bearing in mind Clare being completely shit.

Antrim v Limerick.
Cork v Galway.

Great draw for Limerick.

:clap:
Great draw for Galway. Thurles I presume? Probably with some football game

MOTM in the KK game?

Shefflin

The ginger lad that isn’t inbred

Clare reverted to type last night and tried to disembowel some of the Galway players, Joe Canning especially. There is some seriously odious hurlers on the Clare side but Joe just let his class shine through and got on with winning the game. I expect a similar outcome if Eoin Codogan tries any of his dirt next week.

The King :clap: :clap:

Good showing out of the lads today. Despite the 11 point difference at the end, Dublin never faded. They kept battling when other teams might have faded. They didn’t hurl all that badly I thought but Kilkenny were excellent all over.
Tommy back, Henry conducting things up front. Hickey back at the edge where he belongs. Ah nice.
Also hugely impressed with Paul Murphy. His progression is great news for us.
Still Tipps all-ireland to lose but it warmed the heart to see our old dogs giving it a good lash today.

Better draw for Galway, they need this match and if they win it they’re right back on track, playing Antrim would have done them no favours.

+1

+2
This is the draw the players wanted

Well that was more like it. Order is restored in the universe.
Dublin have a lot of work to do to win their quarter. They need everyone healthy for a start. Plunkett looked good when he came on. He flew past Tommy at one stage after standing him up.
Kilkenny’s strong defending gave Dublin a lot of trouble. Dublin’s goalie is limited enough. Dublin will not move to the next level with guys like McCormack. O’Brien and McCrabbe on the field.
Dotsy and Carton were very isolated in the first half. Carton unlucky to get subbed at half time. Very little he could do.

On the KK lads:
Herrity - That was some save in the first half. He made a mistake in the first half with a poor clearance and in the second half he was a little dodgy coming out with the ball.
Murphy - Looked pretty solid. Struck a bit of ball. Happy enough with him. No glaring mistakes.
Hickey - Excellent display. That shoulder he made shit of that prick McCormack with was great.
Tyrrell - Struck a bit more ball in the second half. Yellow was fair enough.
Walsh - Back with a bang. Excellent as usual. Why Dublin felt the urge to belt ball down on him over and over was baffling.
BHogan - I hope he gets a good run at center back. He was very good today. His point was excellent.
JJ - Seemed to be blown for frees just for being near the ball. Would like to see those again. Dunno if being subbed was tactical or because of injury. Did they mention on TV?
MFennelly - He struck a load of ball. I’ve seen him play better but he was still the driving force for Kilkenny in midfield.
Rice - 1-2, goal maybe could have been saved and he also had a poor enough wide in the first half but he was generally good. Yellow was unlike him.
Reid - He had a few wides. He does a lot of things well but makes poor decisions. Could have trouble keeping Cha out of the team.
Power - He flashes hot and cold. He can be the most dangerous player in the country. Was excellent for Rice’s goal. Fielded some great ball. Gave away a few obvious frees too.
Larkin - Good performance. Seen people on a few sites writing him off as slow and should be dropped. He is an essential part of our team.
CFennelly - Great goal. Is a genuine threat with his speed. His defensive work is top notch too. Great find.
Shefflin - The King stay the king. A goal in the championship every year since 1999. Some record. He fucking leathered that goal in. Barry Kelly bricked booking him. That Keaney shoulder was hilarious!
RHogan - Couple of good points but other times his shooting is poor. He dropped a couple short. He needs to be more consistent.

Roll on Waterford in August with a crack at Tipp at stake. :smiley:

I would have preferred Limerick to get Cork.
Will these games be a double header? I remember it was in 09

Dublin can certainly take something out of today, the players never gave up at any stage. Today reinforces the need for us to develop a goalscoring threat and we won’t be able to compete at the top level without it. There was pretty much no ball coming into the full forward line for the first half hour and little enough after that. We simply couldn’t get beyond the 45 metre line.

It was predictable enough that goals would make the difference. Dublin also played into Kilkenny’s hands by dropping ball after ball down on their half back line. Kilkenny were their old selves today, pure dirt. Maurice O’Brien was lucky not to end up in hospital after being floored twice, can’t remember who did the first one but Tyrrell, typically, was to blame for the second. Fucking hatchet man cunt. O’Brien really was excellent after he came on and should start against Limerick. Durkin played a fine game as well. Absolute joke JJ Delaney wasn’t booked early on for as cynical a trip as you’ll ever see. Not saying it would have made a difference but Dublin might have been able to test him a bit more if he had been on a yellow. Plunkett should have started at full forward.

Weird the way this year’s championship is becoming almost a carbon copy of the 2009 version - same provincial finals, all of the Munster draw exactly the same, Galway beating Clare, Galway v Cork again in the same round of the back door, same quarter finals most likely.

Whatever about the result, the sight of Shefflin getting put on his ass by Keaney was :smiley: