Official 2011 All Ireland Hurling Championship Thread

…but lads like the O’Connors excelled because the game suited them back in the mid 90s - things have changed completely, and it doesn’t suit lads like Naughton or Kenny anymore.

Tipp were far better technically than Waterford, skillwise and speedwise.

+1

Agreed, not sure why Laz is suggesting otherwise.

Agreed, as were Galway against Cork. The scoreline might be a clue in both cases

I was pointing out the folly of hannibals logic.

What is the exact argument being made here?
Galway were by far the better team from what I saw and it wasn’t like there was only a couple of points in it at the end.

His argument was something along the lines of Cork being as good at hurling as Galway despite getting absolutely drilled by them last Saturday. Puke and Kev are stoking the fire here too so they could well just be wumming.

Your logic is completely flawed when you look at players like Eoin Kelly, Henry Sheflin, Lar Corbett, Tyrell, Tommt Walsh, JJ Delaney etc etc. Still hurling at the highest level and best of their ability,and they are all around as long as most Cork lads. But they have been looked after better in every way adn had less distractions.

Sorry Fenway, you seem like a top bloke fella, but you are talking through your arse on this one.

kev we had this discussion before but i’ll say it again. The problem from 2003 onwards was that we had 15/16 lads who were treated as untouchable, in that they always started regardless of form etc. Cody and sheedy created a culture of competition where no one is guaranteed their place on the team. its this culture that keeps players motivated and focus. this was done by selecting players on form through Avs B matches in training (something that im told did not happen during the ogrady/allen reign or seldon did).

Don’t agree with that Eoin Kelly played plenty of games for Tipp over Sheedy’s three years where he was often off the pace and struggling with injury- be it hand or back & he was always guarenteed his place regardless.

So you admit the management has a massive amount to do with it?

Thats my main point, the reason for the lowering of standard is down to management more than anything else. And that relates to the training and the structures. Now the stand out one having seen Cork in recent years is other teams are way better conditioned than them, but there are many other factors as well. Certainly some of the players are not up to it. But i believe others were/are adn didn’t get the chance or enough of one. The treatment of Bill Cooper alone this year bates all. Lehane ditto.

On the intensity side of it. One great example is i know Cork taper down the week of championship the exact same way as years ago, still hurling for an hour and a half but at a nice easy Sunday morning pace. Other top teams hurl at real intensity right up to the thursday night of a game,but just for a far shorter time. Its called tapering in the true sense and would be something used by boxers. It maintains a higher level of sharpness.

Thats just one small example of many.

maybe he was still one of 6 best forwards in training?

maybe but he was always going to be persevered with regardless of form and to say otherwise is wrong, this is the first year since 2008 where he has looked really sharp in June/Early July.

i never said that it did’nt. As i said earlier all successful teams have good managers, selectors, strength and conditioning etc. i accept that, but the most important element is the players, and having enough of the make the difference type of players. If you put the best backroom team in term of manager, strength and conditioning etc with laois (sorry MBB) they still wont win or get anywhere near to winning an ireland as they dont have the players.

We (cork) are where we are because of a load of legacy factors. Most of all our great/make the difference players are no longer the force of old and while we are still producing good hurlers they simply are not of the same standard as those they are trying to replace.

Would tipp have won the all ireland if brendan maher, padraic maher and noel mcgrath not come along at the same time? i doubt it, and untill we get 2/3 of that type of players to come along at the same time we wont be competitive.

They are exceptional players i’ll give you that. But at no stage have i said we are better than Tipp or KK, just we could and should be better than Galway. And there are Cork players from teams that played on teams barely beaten by those Tipp teams who were not developed properly. John O’ Callaghan for instance kept McGrath very quite at Minor, Egan beat him U-21 last year and was amazingly taken off him near the end. Who influenced the last 10 mins? McGrath.

Too many people are looking at our u21 performance against tipp last year too optimistically. If i recall correctly, tipp seniors had a big match the week or two after, possibly against galway? The senior players were only going through the motions (IMHO) but when they were in danger of losing they upped the gears in extra time. I really dont see anyone of the ability of the mahers or noel mcgrath on our u21 team.

i think you do the current galway team a big disservice kev to be honest. they are a fine team.

Yes they were, they were better in every way because they are being coached and managed to a far higher level tham Wateford

Thats Cork’s problem and its all down to management and the quality of management being appointed. Gerald McCarthy was such a regressive appointment that it was bewildering. Instead of looking at someone who could bring modern methods and techniques to the equation they went completely in the wrong direction. Denis Walsh seems unwilling or incapable of imposing a new style of play on the team. You’re probably right that new personnel were needed but the politics surrounding this team meant that it would have taken an exceptionally brave manager to bring this around even if the raw material was available. The reality is that its a hard road ahead for Cork hurling unless there is a complete change on mindset at county board level and their attitude to the managers they apply.

agree with those sentiments hannibal