Official 2011 All Ireland Hurling Championship Thread

Mac and Runt are quite the numpties

You bastard

You rascal.

According to the GAA site both semis are fixed for Croke Park

:smiley:

Not, as you stated yesterday their ‘whole’ gameplan. They’d be a seriously limited side if that was the case.

Your right, they are vastly superior

The more I think about it the more I reach the conclusion that there was no benefit in Galway beating Dublin in the Leinster Championship.
They are now a team with momentum, rather than coming off the back of a possible Leinster final defeat to KK.
I’m sure Galway couldn’t give a shit about winning the Leinster Championship and are just using it as a training excercise.

Fair point Mull… As long as you don’t think this is What McIntyre planned all along.

It’s a very similar position to what Limerick find themselves in. Instead of getting a pasting from Tipp yesterday, we are now coming off the back of two good wins and another two games of the new system under our belts. Losing is the way forward

i said this to a couple of buddies after that defeat to Dublin. If you were McIntyre you knew after tipp match last year what you best 14/15 players were. With this in mind they were going to learn little by having a tough match vs KK in leinster final. If you were of mindset that tipp, kk and galway were head and shoulders better than the rest you would be better going backdoor and playing tipp/kk twice as opposed to three times.

4 out of 5 players that were brought back into team after dublin match started versus tipp last year. thats a third of a team and was bound to have a huge impact. if you took that many players off kk or tipp they would not look half as impressive. Tipp/KK/Galway have a very strong first 15 and decent subs but those subs are far inferior to the starting 15.

[quote=“Kinvara, post: 592538”]

I wouldn’t say he had planned such abject displays against Westmeath and Dublin, I do think though that, similar to Tipp last year, the focus is on the latter stages of the Championship. Nothing like do or die to get a run going.

Also it’s enough to be beating KK once in a championship without having to do it twice.

Unfortunately Runt in Limerick’s case it’s just delaying the inevitable :stuck_out_tongue:

i can live with that, at least we’ll see where we stand against dublin
we’ve shipped our hiding from tipp in 09, not much to be gained from sleepwalking into another tipp ambush.
at least wexford and dublin will have given us a decent test this time round (assuming we’re good enough to beat dublin and overcome the physical advantage they have)

If Galway and Limerick win, the semis will be open-draw, ye could be playing KK yet.

O’Grady has them well coached anyway and I doubt they will allow themselves to be pulled out the field if they do meet Tipp.

Sorry Fenners but thats not true, technically Cork were as good as Galway but they just couldn’t compete physically. Failed to win any decent amount of breaking ball, lost the ball in contact too often, poor percentage of puck-outs won. They have gone nowhere in the last 3/4 while others teams have developed physically. KK under Cody changed from being simply good hurlers after they lost to Galway in 2005. They dominated Cork physically in the 2006 final and blew us (Limerick) away in 2007. Tipp have taken up that challenge and are now at the same level if not a step ahead. Galway are following the same template as are Dublin. Its up to every other county to follow in their footsteps if they want to be competitive. Limerick are in the first year of re-building and are some distance off the necessary level and they will struggle against Dublin because of this.

bullshit they were. galway had 15 superior players than us. many of those cork lads that started are shadows of the players they once were circa 2003-2006 e.g. curran, gardiner, o’neill, murphy, o’connorsetc.

I wasn’t being critical Laz, they completely dominated Cork and fully deserved to win by more. My point once agian is that technically they were no better than Cork but simply being a good hurler is no longer near enough to be competitiive. They showed some fantastic movement yesterday and could have got at least 2 more goals if the ref hadn’t been so dumb and Cork hadn’t engaged in rugby tackling.

Hopefully. I think thats why O Riordan is being brought into the team. Fiercely competitive and very strong. He should help Limerick hold their own in the middle of the field.

You don’t simply lose skill by getting older fenners, Cork got some great scores but if you look at the stats they couldn’t win enough possesion to do sufficient damage. Yes those players are not as competitive as they once were but thats partially because the game has changed and they have stood still instead of developing. The running game that Cork still try to play is no longer good enough.

Were Tipp ‘technically’ no better then Waterford yesterday as a matter of interest?

if the senior players vs galway could play like they did over the 2003-2006 period we would have beaten galway. Our game over that period was the running game you mentioned as DOG recognised that was the style that suited an incredibly athletic group of players of which our half back line and midfielders were key elements. as these lads got older they lost some of the athleticism that made that game so effective. was tom kenny and sean og supreme stickmen? no but they had other assets, but as these waned, they were not as effective. tony browne is still playing at an incredible level because he is a superb all round hurler.

the problem post 2006, excluding strikes and all that crap was that we needed to change our style as other teams were better at counteracting it and the personnel understandly could not continue to play it at the same level to make it effective, they are amateurs afterall. this group of players were/are predisposed to playing a certain way and the only way to change our style was a complete change of personel.

Pretty hard to do that overnight as these were still the best players we had. Thus we find ourselves caught between two stools where ive no doubt players were being instructed to play direct (first 10 mins vs galway) but along the way senior players revert to type.

I said on another thread that you need your minors and u21s playing the style of hurling that you want the senior team to play, hence the managers of these should be selectors on senior team.