Official 2011 All Ireland Hurling Championship Thread

They are interesting charts WTB.

I’d always be of the view that after the goals, it’s amount of points you manage to score from 50 yards or further out that is the winning and losing of games. If you have the half forwards/midfielders who can hit accurately take the chances from the 65 then it’s very hard to defend against.

Those charts prove four things:
i) Tipp have a great variation in where on the pitch they can score from. Therefore it’s almost impossible to beat them.
ii) Tipp are taking far too many shots from ridiculous angles. They have very poor shot selection and it’s almost impossible to win when you do that.
iii) Kilkenny are too predictable in where they shoot from. They need a better variation to their attacking strategy otherwise they can’t hope to win an All-Ireland.
iv) Kilkenny have a very smart attacking policy - always play the percentage shots. Never go for the Hollywood score and personal glory. Always play the ball to the man in the better position. Kevin McStay likes to call it “the hot zone”. This selflessness and smart shooting policy is the key to their success.

It would be interesting to see where the wides came from alright. can you get that WTB?

WTB - Why don’t you get involved in coaching/management? Serious question.

You seem to have a good grasp of what is going on and arguably more importantly you have a real interest/passion for it too.

Not trying to simplify it too much, but looking at the chart, KK use their strength and go at you down the middle to get scores and win frees whereas Tipp rely on speed and accuracy on the run to take their scores.

Great post. The evidence from Galway bears this out too, Joe Canning is the only underage superstar they’ve produced in all their winning teams whereas I had heard of the 2 Mahers and Noel McGrath whilst they were minors and was looking out for them.The last KK player with such a reputation at minor level was Richie Hogan probably.Underage teams are better off producing 1 or 2 stars like this Limerick u21 team than winning. Limerick winning Munster was a bonus and means the ordinary players will get even better.

thats what i took from it straight away.

If you can get one or two lads every year from your minor team you’d have a converbelt. Add to these the odd once in a generation team where four & five come through and a couple of lads who were never on the radar at underage and you’ve a serious panel.

Kerry football are a great example of this. You don’t need great teams just one or two great players.

id agree but i do think that winning minor and u21s are important as it gives huge confidence and a winning mentality to both the great players and the other players that are needed to compliment them.

the cork u21 teams of 97 and 98 had both the four great players and also produced the other lesser lights that are needed to win. the tipp u21 team of last year reminds me of those cork u21 teams.

Kerry haven’t won an All-Ireland minor since 1994. They beat Galway comfortably in the final. If you look at the team sheets for that day, Kerry got nobody to senior. In fact the only one of their team I can think of that played senior championship was the goalkeeper Bryan Murphy who came on as a sub for Dublin in 2003 after Cluxton was sent off against Armagh.

Galway got Padraig Joyce, Michael Donnellan, Derek Savage, John Divilly, Declan Meehan, Tomas Meehan and Paul Clancy.

Kerry got a number of players from one Minor team that was unsuccessful, not quite sure which one, was shortly after 94 anyway. Their League and Championship is set up that if someone is good enough, he’ll come through, and their own U-21 & Senior Championships are as tough as anywhere. You get judged on that as much as any Minor performance down there.

Another example of minor being deceptive is that Gooch and Declan O’Sullivan were on the same team that was well beaten by the Dublin of Dotsy O’Callaghan and Johnny Noonan in 2001. Donaghy would have been minor then too but couldn’t get his game I think.

Apart from Bryan Cullen I don’t think Dublin got anyone from tthat team.

Stephen Kelly never played underage for Limerick until U/21’s.

Would be interesting to do up a list of senior players who never played underage for their county.

Ryan McMenamin is one off the top of my head.

Don’t think MD McAuley played underage either.

Kerry’s lack of success at underage is a bit of a myth and is completely overstated at times as well. In the last 20 years they have been in 8 under 21 A/I finals winning 5 and have won Munster for 9 of the last 15 years at minor level. There record at minor and 21’s level over the past 30 years is as good as the likes of cork and tyrone and a damn sight better than the vast majority of counties. As kev says the fact that there is an excellently structured club championship means that there isn’t as much emphasis on these underage sides to win A/I’s as much as a county who have been struggling for success at senior level and it also means that there is less need to pluck lads straight from minor into the senior set up - unless of course they are special talents. Granted they have been a bit off the pace at underage level in the last 4 or 5 years & the likes of Cork and Tipp have stolen a march on them at underage level but it is easily rectifiable

The thing that the Kerry clubs have which few have elsewhere is a league which is of major importance. The league is seen as the major barometer of success for a club.

They also have a huge amount of games say your a good intermediate player you’d have, divisional league, divisional championship, Kerry League, Kerry Championship at intermediate & Kerry Championship @ senior with your division.
As said the league has huge importance as obviously does the championship and then you have the local rivalries for the divisional championships. You can’t beat games.
Their calender is no better than elsewhere though with games being played on Stephens day & New Years day in recent years.

I can’t believe some fella is after putting a chart to make a point in relation to KK hurling. Can’t imagine Cody doing that. Ye are some men to complicate things.
Kk were not great in beating WD last Sunday but don’t under estimate what the thought of being beaten by Tipp two years in a row will do for the cats.
Can’t really post too much more as this site runs very slow on my phone.

Donnacha O’ Connor, Pierce O’ Neill, Paudi Kissane (well a sub for a while Minor), Miskella (he played hurling for Cork, not football).

I wouldn’t say easy at all Puke, they are having a little crisis down there and are acting a little bit like the Cork hurling fraternity and burying their head in the sand and then employing half assed methods to rectify things. I fear a little bit for them from this perspective.

The team i was thinking about was the Donaghy, Gooch, Dec O’ Sullivan team now that i think about it.

I’m not sure if thats deliberate, but its almost part of the culture now, people coming home for christmas getting in the local divisional finals. People don’t get upset about it at all as these games don’t affect the main championships and don’t hold up Minor & U21 championships.

I can’t believe some fellas believe the myth that KK don’t do tactics.

We don’t.