Official 2011 All Ireland Hurling Championship Thread

I know people playing in Kerry and they describe having to play football matches at Christmas and in January as “a fuckin balls”

Didn’t think animals celebrated Christmas.

No doubt they do, i know i would. But i suppose nobody ever thinks of the players now do they. But i know people enjoy going to them at the same time.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 593049”]

I can’t believe some fellas believe the myth that KK don’t do tactics.[/quote]

Common sense and hurling brains are not tactics. Not in KK anyway, they might be considered tactics in other counties

i agree 100% with this man. as i said earlier, the beauty of hurling is in its simplicity.

Anyone who thinks tactics are unimportant is clearly a simpleton.

good coaching = good tactics

Not always, plenty of excellent coaches out there who aren’t much use on a sideline and vise versa, one doesn’t always lead to the other

You are talking about something entirely different now.

If you watch KK and Tipp play, their decision making and support play is fantastic. Some examples:
You rarely see a half back try to get in a clearance under pressure. players correctly position themselves to receive a pass from said player and it is driven long and accurate rather than half cleared and aimless.

You rarely see a player go for lotto shots. If a half forward or midfield gets the ball 70 yards out on the wing they tend to play a diagional ball to corner forward on a short pass to player running in support.

i could go on and on…

Good coaches work on this religiously in training to get players to make the RIGHT decisions under pressure. envitably if you make more right decisions than wrong decisions you will win.

The well coached teams tend to make these right decisions the majority of time and this together with the 3/4 marquee/make the difference type players is why kk and Tipp are so dominant.

Some players are simply uncoachable and no matter how much you try and get them to make the right decisions, they will revert to type in a match/pressure situation. I think a lot of people fail to see this and put it down to bad coaching, which is wrong.

you have a point to an extent but Kilkenny look a far better coached side than they actually are due to the fact that they have 6 forwards who are all capable of winning their own ball and two half backs who are as good as there have been. I don’t think their support play is all that special and they rely far more on players winning individual duels than excellent support play and finding space like Tipp do. With Shefflin out of the side to pull the strings last September it was shown up as Kilkenny backs just hammered aimless ball up the field when they couldn’t win enough of the individual battles as opposed to trying to find the right man in the right place. Same thing last week when Wateford rattled them physically, they started to hit plenty of aimless ball again

A good coach can implement a style of hurling but that doesn’t mean it leads to good tactics, Donal O’Grady has implemented a style of hurling on limerick this year that has improved them but won’t take them much further as it doesn’t suit and they haven’t the archetypal players you need for it like Cork had. In the end the overreliance on short passing probably cost them both the Waterford and Dublin matches, especially given how domiant their half backlines were in the second half of both games.

I’m holding out hope based on that. The hope is that Kilkenny just wanted to get by Waterford and have something creative to unleash on Tipp in a few weeks. They did in 2006.

absolutely and the same could be said for tipp. These players can win any type of ball which gives them a massive advantage over other teams. Teams that overdo ‘tactics’ in hurling are ones with limitations e.g short passing ala cork 2003-2006 due to inability of forwards to win high ball or teams playing an extra defender in front of a suspect fullback line.

CD,
Ive watched Richie Hogan and Colin Fennelly alot and they must frustrate the hell out of cody with some of their decision making. I would bet that they dont do half the lotto shooting in training that they do in match situations. It must be very annoying for other 4 forwards making the correct runs etc and then to see these lads hit poor wides.

Tipp don’t have 6 self sufficiant forwards to say otherwise is untrue, the Cork and Galway games last year showed this up when the opposition’s half backline took over. They have 5 excellent finishers and they play a game that plays to their forwards strengths which is there pace, movement and excellent skill level, but the likes of Callinan and John O’Brien have shown numerous times that they don’t want to know when it comes down to battling/scrappy for primary possession, Lar and Noel McGrath can win ball in the air when isolated one on one but neither is a ball winner while to his credit Eoin Kelly put up big scores from play in the last decade off scraps at times but he isn’t the player he was 5 years ago either. Tipp’s three best ball winners are Bonnar, Brendan Maher and Shane McGrath.

again im not talking about that, im talking in terms of pure skill set/ability to win high/low ball. callanan had a poor year last year but year prior to that and this year has being sensational and i would not question his battling acrapping ability.

I have more time for Colin Fennelly than Richie Hogan.
Richie has been on the panel 4 years and is so inconsistent. 2 goals on Sunday but also shies away from contesting balls. He really needs to go hard or go home at this stage.

Colin Fennelly has a lot going for him. His pace is devestating. If he fills out like the other Fennelly we could have a top notch player. His defensive work is also very good. His hooking is top class. With some better decision making and a bit more bulk we could have a serious player on our hands.

also forget about the cork game last year FFS. It only matters when it matters i.e. judge a team and players when they are involved in knockout.

I have great time for Seamus Callinan and there is no doubting his hurling ability but his game is all about moving into space and hoovering up loose ball, he has never shown an ability to win scrappy ball or outbattle his opponent. even when he was hurling well in 2008 and 2009, he is a finisher and nothing more

A bit of a myth this imo. Limerick showed KK how to beat Cork in 2006 when they pushed them all the way in Thurles. KK took on the aggressive tactics employed by Limerick and perfected it with a football type defence. The only tactic they used different was to not follow the Cork midfielders out to the wings for the short puck outs. Worked perfectly as Cork couldn’t execute their running game through the middle with Derek Lyng blocking the space.They were worth more than the 4 point victory to that day.

certainly that is his main strength but i seen him play u21 against our lads and he showed huge leadership and fighting abilities,