Official 2011 All Ireland Hurling Championship Thread

Too much to get into there really, and iā€™m not disagreeing generally, but i think overall the tools available to Daly now with Dublin are better than Clares then. Clare were never good enough to win an All-Ireland, Dublin are, IMO of course. I also think you over rate Gilligan. The 15 available yesterday and you have a point i suppose, but you must remember Rushe would possibly be playing further forward were the injured players available, and Keaney is better than either of the 2 players you mention. Also McCrabbe may be closer to goal, and he can score. Dublin have a very big spread of scorers, which off memory Clare didnā€™t.

I think Daly did incredibly well with that Clare team to be honest, and couldnā€™t have got more out of them. They get massive respect for their performance against Cork in 95. But lets be honest, while they did leave it behind them, Cork were shit for 45 minutes and steam rolled them after they got their act together.

I donā€™t think you can compare the 2 teams based on their manager.

Their style of play and approach is almost identical, kev

You are also underrating gilligan hugely, his scoring stats from play are as good as the likes of Mullane, Flynn, Oā€™Connor, Deane etc, has as many goals as Eoin Kelly in the same amount of games. And up until his retirement only Shefflin of the current bunch of forwards in the game had scored more from play than him. He wasnā€™t a stylish as those named but could win his own ball and was an effective score taker

Firstly, iā€™m not sure iā€™d agree with that, Dublin are a more athlectic team. But lets give you that, its removed from your first main point saying that Dublin had the same short comings as that Clare team and Clare more potent forwards. Which i donā€™t believe at all.Neither am i convinced on the exact same styles, but i would really have to see that Clare team play again.

Never said clare had more potent forwards but Tont Griffin on his form in 2005 & 2006 was a good bit better than any of the Dublin inside forwards yesterday. Gilly the same.

And again as I said until dublin either get Keaney back to close to his best or a find a real gem they too will struggle to beat the Kilkennyā€™s and Tippā€™s

i must admit i find that analogy with dalyā€™s clare to be spot on.

Daly adopted similar tactics against kilkenny in 2004 and were very unlucky not to win but were well beaten in the replay. they really caught kilkenny on the hop the first day but kilkenny were ready for them in replay. I cant but think that something similar happened yesterday (i may be unfair here to dublin) as tipp players looked totally confused, particularly in first half where they continued to launch long ball after long ball on top of a packed defence. DOG remarked how to deal with these tactics by either a) running with ball and picking off points or B) take the loose man out of the equation by playing ball wide.

As puke correctly points out those players that dublin were missing would not have made the dublin team stronger with the exception of keaney and tracey as these two would have given them more of a cutting edge up front.

The loss of all five was huge however when trying to deploy a game plan like yesterday as it would have allowed daly to replace players at key times in second half which would have enabled them to maintain their incredible intensity. the dublin players were noticably tiring in latter stages (understandably).

in that 2004 match i refereed to above, gilligan and griffen were the two man full forward line and had a serious cutting edge. both would have being regarded as two of the best forwards in the game at the time.

Gilligan in his prime was one of the best forwards i have seen and a serious operator.

Griffen yes, Gilligan no.

gilligan was much better than griffen imo.

Seriously? Gilligan was far better than Griffin IMO.

Think Griffen was abtter team player and had more range. Gilligan needed alot of things to run for him.

Donā€™t get me wrong, Gily was good, but i think heā€™s remembered a bit over fondly and i can remember him being very inconsistant and having truly awful games and being non existent.

Was he in his prime circa Daly being in charge? I think its a bit earlier than that to be fair.

I think he was such a loss to Clare when he left is one of the reasons fellas look on him like they do. But he was just the end of the line, they had run out of serious IC players at that stage. Griffen was a monumental loss to Clare when he dropped out, and i actually remember Puke going on and on about it over on AFR.

Gilligan was an out and out fullfoward/cornerforward and an excellent one while griffen was more adaptable for sure. If Dublin had a two man fullfoward line of that level of ability, you have more of a chance of succeeding with a game plan like dublin adopted.

If anything Gilliā€™s true worth in Clare wasnā€™t realised til he retired, he could be inconsistent but was a lad who was capable of taking a score and winning hard ball, probably lacked that half yard of killer pace but was a very effective forward and as stated earlier his scoring explots from play were as good as anything in the last decade. 20 goals in 50 games is a serious return as well considering Eoin Kellly has 21 in 53 and Shefflin 23 in 55 games

Its Griffin right? Not Griffen?

For what its worth Gilligan was way and above Griffin imho. Puke may have seen Griffin as a big loss but surely only for the future he would have had than anything else.

Griffin was top class in 2005 and especially 2006 and was a huge loss, he was superb in 2006 as a corner forward and deservedly won an All star and would have walked onto any team in the country at the time

+1 he was at his best over those two years

BTW chewey congrats. Tipp qualify for their 3rd Final in a row and you have this thread dominated by talk of Clare, Daly, Griffin and Gilligan. Tremendous internetting. Tipper would be proud :clap: :smiley:

:slight_smile:

Dublin went out yesterday to keep things close and suceeded. They kept well to their strategy but I think if they ever really wanted to win it they had to go man for man sooner than they did. They basically sacrificed any chance of getting a goal to clog up the midfield and take their points from further out.
They played really well and I was really impressed with how well they defended and as I said before their point taking from long range was excellent. Your never going to move onto the next level without a goal threat and the free man in the Tipp fb line cleared a lot of ball out of there. Thats the sacrifice your making but I thought in the second half in particular they lost a lot of ball hitting it up to the free man.

KK have a template of how to beat Tipp now but will they use it? They might still want to go man for man on Tipp. Should be another great final.