Official 2011 All Ireland Hurling Championship Thread

:clap:

Don’t know if it was mainly down to the Tipp defence. Dotsy scoring threat was sacrificed and in fairness he put in a good shift out the field while Rushe also had to drop out the field to win ball and wasn’t able to get the ball in the right areas to do damage to the scoreboard either. The likes of McCormack & Liam Ryan aren’t much of a scoring threat anyway.

Thought Cummins looked a bit nervy in goal for tipp today overhit a few balls and miscontrolled another few but was never really tested. Maguire made a couple of great saves. Wouldn’t be surprised if himself, Kelly, Rushe and Paul Ryan endup up with All Star’s

well done mate :clap:

I’d like to see the full match again but some random thoughts…
Thought the referee was brutal.
Tipp won despite poor shifts from five of their six forwards in each half, only Lar 1st half and Noel 2nd half played anyway up to standard.
Tipp dealt with Liam Rushe handily enough John O’Keefe did well although Shane McGrath doubled up on him for every puck-out.
Conor O’Mahony was outstanding as was Joey Boland.
Both full-backs were solid enough.
Tipp squandered at least 3-4 clear goal opportunities.Their 1st touch wasn’t as fluent as usual.
Fair dues to the Dubs they fought to the end.

I wish that Hector cunt would FOAD…

Dublin sacrificed a lot of attacking threat to stop Tipp scoring goals and it worked bar the disaster at the start. It had to be that way, Daly got it spot on and gave Kilkenny a blueprint for what to do in the final. The physical way Dublin play seems to upset Tipp and the results over the last few years bear this out. Kelly and Boland have emerged as a fantastic defensive spine. Brady will find it tough to get back when fit. Galling to think what could have been achieved today with a full strength team though, especially if Keaney had been there. It will be achieved over the next few years, I definitely believe it now.

Some minor match. Cormac Costello is a superstar in the making.

Is Costello a dual star Sid?

You could draw a lot of comparisions from Daly’s Clare side of 2004-2006 and this Dublin side, physically strong, good defensive spine and attack every ball bald headed back there and good discipline, hard working forward line but lacking a real top quailty finisher to a get a score or two when the game is going away from you and tactically well drilled. That is without mentioning the moral victories :frowning: But the big advantage that Daly has with this Dublin side is the age profile of the key men is far far younger than the Clare side he had

Which of the Dublin selectors is responsible for signing songs in the dressing room?

???

Sorry, that should have been singing songs, not signing songs…

???

Still don’t know what you mean, don’t recall any of Daly’s selectors singing songs in the dressing romm when he was manager

Ah it was during Lougnanes spell. One of his selectors would sing songs to the players when they were down and out…

Indeed he is Turenne, one of four on the team today along with Eric Lowndes, Emmet O’Conghaile and Ciaran Kilkenny. Costello plays corner forward for both teams.

You could not have got two more different types of game in terms of how open they were than today’s two. Anybody see Dublin’s fifth goal? Bizarre. A Dublin player went for a point but it hit the post. The Waterford keeper had already assumed it had gone either wide or over and was reaching behind him to change hurleys as the ball was finished to the net on the rebound.

Has anyone ever won two All Ireland minor medals in the one year?

Just think of what we would have done had we had the five injured players fit. With the likes of Sutcliffe, Trollier, McMorrow etc to come in next year, more minors developing and the rest of the team a year older, we are going to be serious contenders. Kelly, Corbett, O’Brien, Curran, and Cummins will all be a year more over the hill for Tipp, and somebody made this point already, but all the best players off those Tipp minor teams have already made it. They have everything in place now and maybe still next year, but with Clare, Limerick and Waterford on the rise and Tipp and Kilkenny declining, 2012 on could see a return to the gloriously democratic days of the 90s.

Considine?

That was comedy gold. The full back must have done his nut.

This Dublin team has far more talent available than that Clare team at that point in time. Now i know they had some excellent hurlers, but a few of them were at the end really and they were comparable to Dublin now but at their best. This Dublin team hasn’t reached that yet.

A lash of Cork Lads played in 2 Finals in 2000, but lost hurling. Think someone won the hurling the following year. Thats as close as anyone got recently.

Cork did doubles in 67 & 69, i’d say Ray Cummins would have been on one of them at the very least.

Dublin did a double in '45.

I’m pretty sure someone has, just can’t think who.

Looking forward to watching this tonight, seems to have been game of the championship so far (what do forumites think?). Kelly surely has to get an All Star, for a third choice FB to perform like he has throughout the season, he has done exceptionally well.

If this is a template for how Kilkenny should play in the final, then I think Fagan’s pre-match analysis will be more relevant to what Kilkenny will do, it could be one of the most physical finals we have seen in years.

Bravo Dublin, Bravo Anthony Daly, they’re not far off :clap: :clap: :clap:

I wasn’t on about the personnel per se, they may have more depth to the panel but the likes of Gillgan & Griffin were far better inside forwards than what Dublin have at the moment while Clare’s key men even if coming towards the end of the road were better than Dublin’s personnel in the same positions but Clare outside of the starting 15 had no depth to the panel and even in the 15 carried a few lads at times, part of which was down to Daly being too loyal at times to the older brigade, this is something he has certainly improved on with Dublin, although injuries have forced his hand a bit in this regard

The point I was getting at is that their style and approach is very similar to that of the Clare team under Daly and for me they will continue to come up short for another couple of years unless Keaney comes back as good a player he was before the injury as they just lack a real top class forward. Just look at the contribution of Lar Crobett in th first half yesterday, probably touched 6 balls, hit 1-3 and had a good goal chance saved.

Dublin will certainly put it up to any side over the next few years but i still think they are a bit off getting to let alone winning an A/I final. Granted they were missing 5 lads yesterday but Keaney aside the other 4 weren’t huge losses given how their replacements went. Shoot-aye had a good game corner back & Gough wasn’t missed, and the goal aside Kelly was excellent at three. Hiney and Brady will both be good players to have back but neither would be that much superior to what they replaced, Dublin’s half backline dominated yesterday without hiney although his physical presence would be a boost. Treacy has had a shit year with injuries but is still young and has plenty of potential and will be a decent forward for them next year if he can get a full spring behind him, as I said it is hard to see Keaney coming back from a broken ankle/cruciate injury as well. They look to have some very good young natural hurlers coming through and the next couple of years are huge for them, they really need to consolidate the good work done this year next year with a decent league and another scalp in the championship, a championship win over Kilkenny would be huge for their development. The only thing is that the bar has been raised and expectation levels will now be much higher