Official 2011 All Ireland Hurling Championship Thread

Westmeath put up a very respectable performance in the Leinster Minor championship this year and gave Dublin a far tougher time of it than Waterford did, in Parnell Park too.

Thats great Sid but this is the senior championship we’re talking about. I would venture that if Westmeath etc. are good enough they’d win the CR and have a crack at someone in the qualifiers with a few good games under their belt and with a winning momentum behind them. Alternatively they don’t win the CR then they weren’t good enough anyway. If Westmeath then showed that they were too good for CR they could renter Leinster of their own choice.

If there’s any integrity left in Croke Park, they need to get the Ring and Rackard finals back as openers to the All Ireland semi-finals. There’s no good argument against it. Put the minor semi-finals on in Thurles on a Saturday evening, as a double-header if suitable and give TG4 the rights to cover them,like they cover the U21 championship. Look how well they’ve done with that. They should get the Munster and Leinster minor finals as well but that’s a separate matter. The Ring semi-finals should also be played either before the final round of the qualifiers or the AI quarter-finals. The profile is all these competitions need to thrive.

Agree wholeheartedly with that. Why were they moved away from this in the first place?

hillarious shit from the gahliban on here & this post sums it up

gga players play less games than part time LOI players & the LOI players are a lot fitter than intercounty players yet burnout isnt a problem with LOI players- & then when you compare the agriballers with professional LOI players & professional sports players their fitness,the intensity of the games are way ahead in the normal sports

If the Ring winners were to enter the first round of qualifiers that would necessitate that competition being finished by the end of June so that would obviously rule out playing the final before All-Ireland quarter finals or semi-finals. If the Ring winners don’t gain access the final should certainly be given a much higher profile slot.

i think the lack of interest in it is the big thing- the crowds this year for these tournaments were abysmal(average crowd 87 people) & teams such as fingal louth & cavan didnt field full teams a lot of the time- if a lot of the players dont bother turning up for games,if the crowds are abysmal whats the point of forcing this on stick hurling fans who I assume fell they deserve better

Fuck off you sanctimonious cunt

whats up mate?

you hate hyperbole as much as I do- join with me in my fight against it

i hate hyperbole but i will defend to my death the right for people to use it :guns:

Hyperbole is the single greatest threat to civilisation.

Michael Scott: Yeah, sure, you know business, sitting up here in your ivory tower…
[gestures toward the black professor]
Michael Scott: and your ebony tower…
Michael Scott: …You know what? Tell you one thing, Dunder Mifflin is here to stay.
Business School Student: But how can you compete against a company with the resources of a nationwide chain?
Michael Scott: David will always beat Goliath.
Business School Student: But there’s five Goliaths: there’s Staples, Office Max…
Michael Scott
: Yeah, yeah, well, you know who else is facing five Goliaths? America: Al Qaeda, global warming, sex predators… mercury poisoning…

the old puke wouldnt have posted such tripe- working has had a negative affect on you

I presume Padraig Maher is thr frontrunner for the HOTY at this moment in time

DJ Carey alwasys struck me as a bit of an idiot and this does nothing to dispel that
[left]
Carey: League is taken too seriously

By John Fogarty
Thursday, August 18, 2011
DJ CAREY has argued the Allianz Hurling League is being taken too seriously and should revert to a pre-Christmas start.
The Kilkenny legend believes the competition is given too much credence to the detriment of clubs.

“I don’t see why we couldn’t go back to the October/November start,” said Carey. "Is the league taken too seriously now? It probably is in so far as it’s condensed. I think the clubs are losing out hugely because you have a league and it’s backing into a championship Sunday after Sunday and the manager of the county team is pulling his players. It’s too serious.

"If there were four rounds of the National League played before Christmas it would ease up that seriousness after Christmas. Then you would play a couple of rounds from February onwards.

“The league back when I started was not as serious; the serious stuff came after Christmas. There was no real training done before it. It gave guys fitness over a longer period as opposed to this condensed period from January 1 when you go five nights a week to train.”

Carey supports calls to increase the number of teams playing in Division 1 which are included in two of three proposals to change the 2012 league structure being put in front of Central Council this weekend.

“Weaker counties might say ‘if we win Division 2 we should be in Division 1’ but it’s no good for them being in Division 1 if they’re going to be back in Division 2,” noted Carey. “I would see a system whereby there should be 12 of the top teams in the country and should hold Division 1 status for three years. Or, that at the end of each year the Division 2 champions would play the last-placed team in Division 1 and see who should play in Division 1 the following year. We need hurling to be maintained in Clare, Offaly and Wexford and keep them playing at the highest level because you can only judge yourselves by playing the best teams.”

Read more: http://examiner.ie/sport/gaa/carey-league-is-taken-too-seriously-164665.html#ixzz1VMb0BVKW[/left][/left]

What a tool. Sure we’ll pick the top twelve counties & fuck the rest. Maybe the likes of Wexford, Offaly and Limerick need the kick up the hole relegation brings. It certainly worked for Limerick[/left]

Limerick badly badly need division 1 next season to keep the progress going.

The manager pulling his players is also a worry.

Absolutely Balbec, but the relegation was the slap in the face the boys on the county board needed.

Would have thought it would have been good for morale in some cases