Official 2015 Cricket World Cup Thread

England became the first team to announce their squad this morning. As heavily reported yesterday, Cook has been removed as ODI captain and replaced by Morgan. The decision is the right one, just too long in coming. Cook just isn’t good enough in the limited overs format to command a place in the team. The bold decision will now be to play Hales alongside Moeen at the top, will give them the potential to be explosive at the start of an innings and post the 300+ scores they will need to win in Australia (bit of a generalisation, but I’d expect the NZ games to be lower scoring and more suited to England). Stokes left out too after a horrendous year since the end of the Ashes tour. They’ve probably just about stumbled on to their best squad.

Eoin Morgan (capt), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Gary Ballance, Ian Bell, Ravi Bopara, Stuart Broad, Jos Buttler, Steven Finn, Alex Hales, Chris Jordan, Joe Root, James Taylor, James Tredwell, Chris Woakes

Sri Lanka will walk this.

Would be a nice send off for Mahela and Sanga (though there might be another couple of years in Sanga). I don’t see a stand out favourite to be honest, good few teams are a genuine chance of winning it.

seeing Ireland in the gabba would be amazing

Is it too late to organise a TFK trip mate?

i dont think so

The western Sydney suburb of Blacktown has been stunned into silence, after witnessing one of the greatest sporting performances in living memory. The Irish…Rovers, maybe…have upset the Bangladesh Tigers by a huge 4 wickets. Kevin O Brien top-scored with 39 points.

I’m not sure if this is in the World Cup or not, but this is a day that will live long in the memory of Irish sporting fans all over the world.

[QUOTE=“Chucks Nwoko, post: 1090438, member: 2812”]The western Sydney suburb of Blacktown has been stunned into silence, after witnessing one of the greatest sporting performances in living memory. The Irish…Rovers, maybe…have upset the Bangladesh Tigers by a huge 4 wickets. Kevin O Brien top-scored with 39 points.

I’m not sure if this is in the World Cup or not, but this is a day that will live long in the memory of Irish sporting fans all over the world.[/QUOTE]

It was a warm up game Chuck. It has as much importance as Ireland beating Germany in 1994 in the World Cup warm up games - sweet fuck all.

Surely India are over-priced at 11/1 for this?

The layers have it fairly right. The Injins don’t travel well on the sub-continent. They may have lost all their games in the triangular tournament with Aus/NZ. Look for the home sides to excel. Familiarity with the surface and “the bounce” is vital.

You could do more degenerate things today than have a bet on NZ’s MJ mc Clenaghan for top bowler at 22/1.

Edit: Aus/England I meant, and they lost 3 from 4 with 1 NR. In summation, DO NOT BACK.

put 50 ew on the west indies for the crack
anything is possible with these negritos, their series with SA was chaos around xmas, they probably arent consistent enough to win it but are capable of doing anything so fk it
ireland could atually turn them over i think

NZ are the bet i think

[QUOTE=“Chucks Nwoko, post: 1090519, member: 2812”]The layers have it fairly right. The Injins don’t travel well on the sub-continent. They may have lost all their games in the triangular tournament with Aus/NZ. Look for the home sides to excel. Familiarity with the surface and “the bounce” is vital.

You could do more degenerate things today than have a bet on NZ’s MJ mc Clenaghan for top bowler at 22/1.

Edit: Aus/England I meant, and they lost 3 from 4 with 1 NR. In summation, DO NOT BACK.[/QUOTE]
I’ve had €25 on India just in case.

Wankers.

Are Pakistan worth a flutter at 20/1?

Could they be spurred on by the memory of 1992?

Don’t care much for India’s prospects. They’ve been in Australia for over 3 months now and form has not been good in either the test series or the one day series that followed.

I can’t see past South Africa, notwithstanding all their previous failures. Australia likely to be their closest challengers. Pakistan as Sidney has said the best value as a dark horse.

Anybody fancy Engurland?

Neither India nor Pakistan look like they have good enough pace bowlers. Won’t get away with that in the Antipodes. NZ, Australia and Saffers do look the best for the conditions. England just a bit dodgy in all departments.

Having said that, it’s likely to come down to a straight knock out for the big eight so favourites are probably underpriced and outsiders overpriced.

McCullum giving Malinga the treatment here. Would be great for the tournament if McCullum hits full stride.

Malinga has wintered well.
Weather in Christchurch looks worse than here.

Nope. Not a fucking chance. Flakey across the board. They may well galwaylike fell a favourite, but equally galwaylike they haven’t a hope of stringing together four or five.