Official All Ireland Minor and U20 Hurling & Football Thread (Part 1)

Lynskey has employed a sweeper in all his teams for the past 4/5 years at minor and under 20. Same play, different actors.

One of the midfielders picks the opposition 11 when not in possession (McGlynn in this team, he is the best of the 30 starters tomorrow). Both wing forwards also play incredibly deep allowing the 6 (Neary) to sweep. He was sweeper vs KK but Dublin picked him up and left one of the wing backs free.

1 Like

Yeah Lynsky’s minor teams employed sweepers alright. In 2015, Loftus swept up and when they beat us in 2017 Conor Walsh was hanging around there.

I still wouldn’t say this Galway team play a sweeper. Teams like Limerick at senior level drop half forwards very deep to help out defence and drop midfielders back too but it’s not a out an out sweeper. I can’t see any of those starting Galway forwards going back to being a conventional midfielder tomorrow night, allowing Mcglynn to funnel back etc. All 6 look like very natural scoring forwards with McDonagh maybe given a free license to room around the half forward line.

Cork will do the same that Galway have been doing, with Hogan dropping back a bit allowing Twomey to cover the full back line when Cork aren’t in possession.

You’re right about McGlynn being a cracking player - Quirke has a big night tomorrow night.

Kilcommins will funnel back all day. He was wing back on the 2020 team. Surprised Connaire isn’t starting.

It is a lot more attacking team named. I dont think the Cork backs are great and maybe he is going after them.

Very worried about that Cork back line aright. Galway are much more balanced up front than Limerick and Tipp were. I do think Cork will need to put up a big score, which they could do.

Other than once with Loftus Ive never Galway play with a sweeper with Lynsky. It would be worth a 15 pt head start to Cork if thats the game being played.

Cork are bit of a dogs dinner selection. Has Twomey ever played in defense before this yr? Likewise Moynihan? 2 v lightweight lads in the halfforward line. Galway’s need is far greater here.

Twomey has been very impressive in both games, as has Moynihan. I’d trust Twomey at center back, I rate him very highly. A great move by the management to move him there as he has all the attributes to be a fine half back.

I would say both counties need this tomorrow night. We only won our first u21/20 in 22 years five weeks ago. Cork hurling needs the underage to continue to deliver.

Nuts moving Joyce from centre back imo.

1 Like

You haven’t seen much of Galway/Lynskey teams then.

Hard to see who they could have put back there in fairness. Neither Downey or O’Brien are natural full back line players, either was O’Leary. Hardly any of them on this panel

More than you.

I very much doubt it.

They definitely played a sweeper that All Ireland minor final in 2015 anyway

they absolutely did.

Define “sweeper”?

There has been a real dearth of defenders on underage teams nationally in recent years. Loads of hurlers, but lacking defensive nous. On the other hand some of the forwards on display have been excellent.

1 Like

Downey is young but has played full back with CBC

An extra defender whose role can be different on different teams. They rarely engage in picking up an opposition player. Their main role involves cutting off space, intercepting opposition long passes, being a 2nd tackler when not in possession. When their team is in possession their role is to be the “out ball” for teammates. They are more than likely the player who will deliver ball out of defence.

5 Likes

I think young hansberry on the minor panel is the first skehana hurler in decades to represent the county at minor. Nearly 50 years I think.

A ‘plus one’ is the new term.

Sweeper is very 2016.

2 Likes