Official All Ireland Minor and U20 Hurling & Football Thread (Part 1)

Waterford made hard work of it, were by far the better team. persistent fouling, eventhough the ref was whistle happy, trying to walk the ball into the goal, seemed tactically inept on the sideline, Gleeson was showboating in the 1st half and got caught twice. Big players didn’t play well and they still won, which is a positive. Kilkenny were a poor enough team for their standards.
Big step up needed to win the AI, fucked away the munster final.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/972344_500931343315561_180804807_n.jpg

Waterford don’t fear Kilkenny at minor level. Three times we have met them in the championship now and three times we have beaten them.

Great to see all the Waterford Senior Players in Croker on Sunday supporting the chaps.

Oh wait…

FAO @myboyblue , what did you make of Galway when they played Laois in the minor quarter finals a few weeks ago?

Sunday is all set up for a Galway ambush, not a peep out of them or Mattie Murphy ahead of this match. Seen this time and again with Galway minor sides, coming up against much fancied teams from Munster and Leinster and they turn them over.

A few very promising lads on this Limerick minor team who should progress onto the senior ranks but I’m worried about this match. Hopefully the management team have them grounded and focused. Won the Munster u-21 two years ago and were duly beaten in Thurles by Galway the next day out… :frowning:

[quote=“dodgy-keeper, post: 817086, member: 1552”]FAO @myboyblue , what did you make of Galway when they played Laois in the minor quarter finals a few weeks ago?

Sunday is all set up for a Galway ambush, not a peep out of them or Mattie Murphy ahead of this match. Seen this time and again with Galway minor sides, coming up against much fancied teams from Munster and Leinster and they turn them over.

A few very promising lads on this Limerick minor team who should progress onto the senior ranks but I’m worried about this match. Hopefully the management team have them grounded and focused. Won the Munster u-21 two years ago and were duly beaten in Thurles by Galway the next day out… :([/quote]
Having gone to Carrick on the Saturday night I gave Thurles a miss the following day, so am ill equipped to comment.

Also it is disgraceful if a couple of these young lads have been dropped at this stage, as is apparently the case.

that free at the end was always going to happen. for a game where the ref gave fuck all frees all game long, he gave Galway a really harmless one to level it going into injury time. Unfortunately for him, Galway scored a gain, so he was always going to even it out.

Great game though, draw is the fairest result. neither team deserved to lose that one.

Re Hawkeye, does somebody have to manually press a “score” or “miss” button behind the scenes?

Could it have simply been a case of somebody pressing the wrong button?

Or, is as seems more likely, the result is automatically generated? If that’s the case I can see Hawkeye being ditched for the rest of the year.

Galway wore Clare down physically two years ago in extra-time in the minor semi-final and you’d wonder is the same thing happening again here to Limerick.

UH

Yeah definitely. Limerick just fading out here and can’t keep the pace up. making basic errors they didn’t make earlier.

Mattie Murphy’s time has come again. What a tactician.

Also, its worth saying, if Cork were in the situation Limerick Minors found themselves in earlier, Frank would have refused Extra Time and have a replay in the bag before they got on the train.

That was a good Limerick minor team and I’d bet they’ll get more from it at senior level than Galway will from theirs.

Winning isn’t everything at this level - Clare didn’t win a minor in 2010 or 2011 but those teams have already produced and will continue to produce better hurlers than the teams that beat them.

FAO @Mullach Ide[/USER] and @[USER=1517]carryharry or other Tipp lads - how would that ref Horgan be viewed as a ref at home?

I thought he was very poor for the minor game yesterday. At times it was like he didn’t have a whistle, there is letting the game flow but he took the piss. He let everything go (for both sides). Shane Hourigan blew for everything the week before and this fella was the opposite.

He was bad for both teams but (with my green tinted specs on) I thought he was especially harsh on us. Mind you he balanced it up at the end of normal time with what looked a very cushy free in well after the one minute additional time was up.

He didn’t decide the game, Galway deservedly won it and best of luck to them in the final.

A good minor campaign for Limerick though and losing a sickener like yesterday might actually stand to them in the long term. Three or four very promising lads that will hopefully go on to have long and successful senior careers.

[quote=“dodgy-keeper, post: 819834, member: 1552”]FAO @Mullach Ide[/USER] and @[USER=1517]carryharry or other Tipp lads - how would that ref Horgan be viewed as a ref at home?

I thought he was very poor for the minor game yesterday. [/quote]

He is a prize cunt, he cost me €150 yesterday blowing up that soft free at the end. :mad:

Otherwise, yes i agree he let too much go. He missed too many technical fouls such as holding, hand on the back, over-carrying & general high challenges. In saying all that, Lk hit way too many wides DK. They basically played like individuals while Galway hurled as a team.

[quote=“dodgy-keeper, post: 819834, member: 1552”]FAO @Mullach Ide[/USER] and @[USER=1517]carryharry or other Tipp lads - how would that ref Horgan be viewed as a ref at home?

I thought he was very poor for the minor game yesterday. At times it was like he didn’t have a whistle, there is letting the game flow but he took the piss. He let everything go (for both sides). Shane Hourigan blew for everything the week before and this fella was the opposite.

He was bad for both teams but (with my green tinted specs on) I thought he was especially harsh on us. Mind you he balanced it up at the end of normal time with what looked a very cushy free in well after the one minute additional time was up.

He didn’t decide the game, Galway deservedly won it and best of luck to them in the final.

A good minor campaign for Limerick though and losing a sickener like yesterday might actually stand to them in the long term. Three or four very promising lads that will hopefully go on to have long and successful senior careers.[/quote]
He would be viewed as a good ref who let’s the game flow in Tipp. I don’t really agree with this as anybody could referee a game like he does and not give any frees but it is unfair on players when clear frees are not awarded.

Jerry Wallace on Newstalk now. He basically said “We said we weren’t going to blame hawkeye, but time has passed since we said that, and now we are.”

It’s a hard call. On paper we won that game in normal time. There’s plenty of time for a replay so fuck it why should we not get it.

Knowing Limerick though we will get the replay and turn up and lose and it’ll be mortifying for everyone.

I did think watching the game though that if the ref had stopped allowing the galway half back line to foul our players as they pleased we would have been well on top.