Official All Ireland Minor and U20 Hurling & Football Thread (Part 1)

ye must be looking forward to a few very good years as a senior club. credit ye have serious talent at the mo.

2 more lads on the extended panel as well, one was a sub yesterday

Mickey Ned is the new Kerry minor manager. John O Keeffe is one of the selectors.

:lol:

Brilliant.

Meltdown. Cork hurlers and Kerry football have always driven similar paths.

I must have missed all those Kerry strikes.

the o connells have a remarkable medal haul for a set of brothers from clare.

ger has an all ireland minor from 97
nicky has munster and all ireland under 21
cathal has two munster minor medals now.

clonlara appear to be here to stay the way they are going at present

Ah they get their arguing over with in the County Leagues.

Its something i always admired about them. :smiley:

Not a bad appointment I would say, as long as he gets a good backroom team who are going to see plenty of these lads at club and school level. The underage needs a good shaking up. Just had a look through the underage development squads which were named earlier and thereā€™s a grand crop of good players coming through. They are in action this weekend so weā€™ll see how good they are.

Its a terribly backward appointment TRE, they needed to get a Fitzmaurice type person in there, young with modern methods etc. Kennedy failed with decent players and Mickey ned was really back boned by others at Limerick. I have heard him speak and seen his drills etc and he isnā€™t bad to be fair, but i would have massive reservations about him making a huge impact on 16-18 year olds at this stage.

Thereā€™s a huge difference between the shitehawkery that Kennedy went on with and what Mickey Ned is about. Mickey Ned at least embraces new ideas, either through himself or the use of a good young coach. Whatever you think about Mickey Ned, heā€™s no Kennedy. From a distance, between this and Darragh and Fitz with the U21ā€™s Iā€™d think Kerry have made some good steps.

As i said i think Mā€™ Ned is a decent chap and a good coach, but would be more suited in an advisory role with someone, but not Kennedy, who is clearly not up to it.

I also donā€™t see Daragh going straight in as a massive positive. Learn the trade first at a lower level, get to know how young people now carry on and how they tick. Fitzmaurice has done this, and Daragh might get an awful land going straight in. It has failed miserably on many many occasions when good players go straight in as managers/trainers/selectors. It may work, but why take the chance of it ruining your reputation.

That Munster U/16 tournament is on this weekend isnā€™t it?

Darragh is only going in as a selector. Its not like heā€™ll be taking training. A selector is nothing more than an advisor in a modern set up and if you believe that someone like Darragh Ɠā€™SĆ© doesnā€™t have enough inside to contribute in an advisory capactiy then you have some lump of timber in your eye on that one.

Its quite easy to get disillusioned about young players and their attitudes. Even the work involved etc, its nothing at all like being a player and you never ever know whats actually involved till you do it.

Iā€™m sure heā€™ll do fine, but it is a risk and has failed badly at times, even in that role.

Kieran McGeeney?

He had coached several teams before taking the job you knobend. Anyway, even if the guy hasnā€™t, it can work, but it can go very wrong as well, and often does.

Well thatā€™s why I suggested a good backroom team is vital to him. The likes of Liam Hassets name was out there for a while and I think heā€™d do well in assisting MN. Heā€™s a teacher so knows the schools game pretty well. But for tactics and the like I think someone with MNā€™s cv is a good appointment.
Fitzmaurice has taken the U-21ā€™s, he could have done a good job at minor level too as heā€™d be very well clued in with the schools game as well being involved with Pobal Scoil Chorca Dhuibhne.

Thatā€™s true. He was very involved in the U-21ā€™s last year and knows the score. Darragh has plenty of coaching knowledge as well being in the background for An Ghaeltacht and then West Kerry as well when Paidi managed them last year.

No need for the insults Kev. Of course it can go wrong, but it can also work out. Thatā€™s life in general by the way, thereā€™s usually the possibility of more than one outcome to most situations.