Official All Ireland Minor and U20 Hurling & Football Thread (Part 2)

That was some turnaround late on.

William Buckley was my MOTM again. He scored some outrageous points. Gunning battled well against him - may not be the last time those two go toe to toe.

Tobin at 6 was impressive. Physically demanding, and a tidy hurler.

For Clare, Hegarty at 6 was good - made two superb tackles to save goals. Rynne never got going really. Jack Oā€™Neill is a senior in waiting, very good again tonight.

Cork still need to get the team selection right. Hopefully we are a bit closer after that.

He is the best underage centre back Iā€™ve seen in a Clare jersey. Very assured hurler and already a solid man for a lad of 18, only thing that might limit him is he lacks pace but he has everything else.

Good heart from Clare who never threw in the towel but it would have been smash and grab, corkā€™s strength in depth and a touch more class up front won it for them - although I think it was Oā€™Farrell who had the goal chance just after corkā€™s goal which was well saved by the keeper but he had a free man inside for a tap in goal with any kind of a hand decent pass.

3 Likes

Hegarty will be a big addition to Inagh Kilnamona this year.

Excellent game last night in Ennis.

Cork showing some grit last night but Clare will rue two big turnovers going down the straight which were punished with 1-1. The first as @Fat_Pox points out by the Clare midfielder was hardly believable.

The second was Cork turning over a tired Eoghan Gunning on the 65 from a short puckout with the whole middle left open.
Fair play to Ben Oā€™Connor who rolled the bench and took off Jack Leahy who is their big name and free taker for Oā€™Sullivan. O Sullivan assisted the goal, got another point and provided huge energy in the last ten minutes. Another sub converted the goal.

Cork dominated the Clare long puckout for much of the game, Cillian Tobin was excellent at 6. Clare had to bring Sean Rynne and Jack O Neill out to curb their dominance. Buckley is a lovely player at 11 for Cork but size may be an issue at senior level.

Clare will rue the turnovers and a missed goal chance by Oā€™Farrell going down the straight. He previously stick passed to Stritch with a similar chance but this time shot and it was saved.
Collins and Stritch are lovely skilful forwards but the player I was most impressed with was the fantastic Jack O Neill, I wouldnā€™t be surprised if he makes a Clare 26 before the year is out. If he has any weakness itā€™s heā€™s always looking to assist instead of take a shot a bit like Cian Lynch.

I think Cork were 6/1 before last night for the all Ireland and at this stage Iā€™d make them favourites.

He was part of the extended senior panel last year but obviously couldnā€™t play as was under 18 but stood out in training. He is doing the leaving so wonā€™t be part of the senior panel this season.

I think the weakness you have pointed out above was actually the most impressive thing about him last night. As a minor he was a fairly selfish hurler who knew he had serious wheels which meant he would consistently look to shoot or carry the ball into areas to work the shot, passing was always seen as a last resort. To see him show excellent vision last night and pull the strings showed real growth as a hurler imho. Gave some excellent ball into the inside men last night.

Ya I remember that at minor now that you say it, unlike Lynch though he has a long range shot in his artillery which I thought he could have used last night.

He will be ready for senior next year along with Rynne.

The talk earlier in the year was that Inamona were going to hold the two Hegartys along with Rynne and Mescall from last years minor side back and blood them with the second team this season.

But you would feel one bad result for the seniors and it would be fucked out the window

1 Like

No chance of that happening.

Dublin won a hard fought minor semi final v Wexford there. 1.17 to 2.10. Tight all the way through. Dublin finished the stronger

2 Likes

How good are Inaghā€™s second team?

That new rule in Cork means players at Barry Walshā€™s age can only play up to Junior A. I woukd be shocked to see a club in Clare do it by choice given the talent available to them.

I donā€™t think itā€™s good for development. Players that are u19 next year pushing for 20s panels in 2025 would gain invaluable experience playing at top adult levels.

They would be a solid intermediate side. The Inamona senior team is a relatively young side as it is with a bit of depth.

Excellent standard of football between Tyrone and Kerry so far.

As good a pickpocketing as youā€™ll see there to dispossess the Tyrone lad as he was about to score a game breaking goal.

Cleared off the line now.

Kerry have some tidy players but Tyrone are a cracking team . The speed they move the ball was very good

After a sobering day for Ulster football yesterday @glenshane at least has another Tyrone All-Ireland to cheer him up today.

2 Likes

Some nice footballers on the Longford team here, Dubs starting to edge their way to the win

1 Like

Longford giving them their fill of it.This has penalties written all over it

Hon Tipperary

There canā€™t be much additional time here

They have it now surely. Hon Longford

2 Likes