Official TFK GAA Coaches Corner

Nutritionists, Performance Analysts all these types of roles are part of the 10%. Hard work and training are still in the 90% and its up to the manager to ensure those guys know their place, otherwise the tail will be wagging the dog

5 Likes

Exactly

Similar with Niall Collins (Cork Camogie). You wouldn’t know how much he has won unless you dug deep to find the info.

1 Like

Arguably data coders/analysts shouldn’t have any interest in the game as they bring a bias to their interpretation of the data?

Actually ya, that’s a really good way of looking at it.

In fairness too, it’s the one role that really doesn’t require much knowledge of the game (I suppose you could say same about S&C to an extent), but rather more importantly, the definitions you use are easily understood by the coaches/players is what’s important and knowing what KPIs they want

No point in you throwing Productivity, Turnover Rates etc. at them if they’ll just look at the number blindly. That’s a problem a lot of the lads on Twitter have in that they think these abbreviations and all look great, but Joe Public mightn’t understand them quickly. Sometimes ‘possessions ending in shots’ is just cleaner.

I suppose and ‘interest’ in the sport itself does no harm, as they’d be able to cop whether something was a shot or pass at times perhaps.

Like, for Opta, they have 5 people for each Premier League match live coding. These lads are usually students who just pop in to the office, code their match and head home. No bias, no emotion. And it’s important, because that info is fed through to the actual coaches/team analysts/Gillette Soccer Saturday/LiveScore

I could talk about this stuff all day ha

1 Like

Back at it tonight with the u15s.

2 Likes

Would senior club teams be back training now ?

Na Piarsaigh in Limerick are back next week I think, so it sounds like it!

1 Like

I’d be very suspicious of any teams back this early tbh. Maybe some gym work, fair enough.

1 Like

A neighbouring club is back on their pitch/astro 3 nights a week. The same side will likely have lads go on the beer the week of championship.

Every serious player is minding themselves these days, the majority of the others are probably starting gym programs currently.

Most clubs back on the pitch around the end of February with Leagues in March/April in most counties.

2 Likes

Kelly Cup starting in Laois in February. Leagues to kick off in March.

I’d say it depends on the format and importance of their league. Most senior players would be following some sort gym/pre-preseason programme, but i don’t know of any back on the pitch yet.

1 Like

There’s Division 7 Football teams back 3x times a week in Dublin.

The same teams who will have lads missing Championship games in September because of Electric Picnic.

Maybe they want to get some exercise three times a week?

1 Like

Exactly, leagues vary from county to county and in seriousness taken.

Kilkenny don’t pay any heed to the league but in counties like Kerry, Tyrone and Dublin they take their leagues fairly seriously.

Dublin leagues start Feb 19. Pitches have been in shit so training so far been all weather/gym sessions

I know a parent who brought his kid* to a schools swimming competition to prove this point. True Story.

*The kid couldn’t swim.

2 Likes

Is this the greatest episode of @thelimericks being @thelimericks of all time

It might, if @endakenny was an @Limerick

4 Likes