Official TFK GAA Coaches Corner

This is tremendous. https://twitter.com/GAAKeeperCoach/status/1662507885505441793?t=tiUS7dRybYk66RLQx-CibQ&s=08

1 Like

That Donal Hughes guy is a bit odd. I remember his Golf Facebook page from before which he still tips away at.

Goalkeeping coaches on social media deserve an entire category of weird to themselves.

That’s lovely though.

I don’t know him from adam. I just enjoyed the exuberance.

Is that Aido in there somewhere with an Alice band?

1 Like

Bunch of u12 camogie girls. We are not scoring enough. Creating plenty chances. Most of the time our chances involves a dogfight near their goals with very little room to get a strike off. Trying to coach our midfield and half forwards to break the tackle, make space and take shots from further out.

Their striking needs work regardless but any useful tips or drills for the training ground regarding making space?

You need a constraints led approach fella

1 Like

Put in place a development plan to target under 13 year

Full size goals from under 13

1 Like

These are two off the shoulder drills we use in football. Could you adapt for camogie

1 Like
1 Like

They are already constrained by the fact that half them can’t strike the ball properly, do you suggest adding additional impediments?

1 Like

Tell them to kick it into the goals like that corner forward Limerick had in the 90s

3 Likes

Practice the batted finish and the old fashioned boot, can the wimmin not still handpass a goal?

Noel Lane for a local reference

Create as much width as possible. Get them playing the ball to the wings and corners. It’ll help to de-congest the central attacking areas. Then play the ball across where there will be more space.

2 Likes

whilst that makes logical sense, most U12 girls games I see is a crowd of them following the ball regardless and instead of being crowded out around the goal, they’ll just be crowded out no matter where the ball is. Its the speed of getting it into the hand and making the strike. And then some of the kids like a little solo before they hit it, invariably running into a cluster of players chasing them.

If it were me, I’d just work on lifting and striking at speed, how fast can they get the ball into their hand and how fast can they get the strike away.

Kids that age usually dawdle on the ball, take an age to lift it, then look around and by the time they think they’ve made their mind up, there are 4 or 5 gathered around them poking their hurl in to make some sort of tackle. The quickest solution without needing to get overly tactical and into drills is to work on the pick up and strike. Can they lift it and strike it off in one motion? Or do they need time to pick, then look around, then a little solo, then another look and settle themselves up then and get their balance right before they attempt the strike.

Thats what mainly causes the congestion in these games at younger levels. Once they can master the lift and a good strike, can then work on tactical play for the overall team, but if half of them are struggling to hit it, thats where you should start the focus on.

4 Likes

Shorten the hurl as well. Any strike will score against a goalie at that age. Shorten the hurl, propel the ball forward in any way shape or form.

1 Like

yeah girls more so than boys have a habit of pushing the hurl when striking rather than a free flowing movement. Hands apart and a big wide swing. Not as wristy as boys are. Very much a generalisation there, but I’ve seen it this way for a long time. That then doesnt help girls shorten the grip and they struggle to hit it that way. Absolutely a short grip in confined spaces is something to work on though.

1 Like

I find the difference it makes to a players (boy/girl) development to get that striking action is massive. Some will get it right away on a long grip, but for those tossing it up in the air and trying to tennis it, if you get them striking with a short grip, you can develop from there. Once you get that sweet feeling of the strike, you can work on letting out the top link so to speak.

1 Like

Mighty stuff lads, I feel like you’re right beside me in the middle of a bunch of cones. I can almost smell the freshly cut grass.

10 Likes