Official TFK GAA Coaches Corner

Next time one of them gets bottled up in a crowd, tell them to go down roaring holding their head and throw off the helmet

15 Likes

Or get the goalie to take a knee.

1 Like

Trying to coach our midfield and half forwards to break the tackle, make space and take shots from further out.

3 or 4 girls shoulder to shoulder forming one row. Same facing them. They touch hurleys with the girl facing opposite them.

Pop ball to a girl running on to it who takes her steps through the gauntlet of hurleys and takes a shot once out the otherside/pass to coach on otherside who repeats from that side.

The gauntlet welding hurleys don’t move, just create a gate as such.

1 Like

Ended up with 14 u7s basically on my own this evening. Coming home in the car my 6 year old says "Dad, was that a bit frustrating "

10 Likes

Fuck that. I’d abandon the session unless a few parents stayed to help

1 Like

Ouch

Ah in fairness a couple of the mothers helped with trying to keep them penned in

1 Like

They’re U12 not 21s.Have ye a ball wall @KinvarasPassion .We spent the whole of last winter on it.Very good for those who can’t strike the ball.Its very hard age group to train as some of them will be excellent and others will hardly be able to hit the ball at all.It was a beautiful evening for training we had about 20 tonight,we were down a few most probably gone to Ballybunnion.

2 Likes

We’ve the mini all Irelands this week.

Teams all mixed up ability wise. Ten minutes a side . No adults managing or coaching - just other kids.

Jesus tonight was brilliant stuff. The stronger lads getting the weaker lads going. Praising effort and anything to get the team over the line.

My young lad who has been blasé enough about the GAA came home tonight and insisted we practice for an hour and he’s cancelled a trip to the park after school tomorrow to practice some more before his final.

13 Likes

So is it making you consider mixed ability groupings might be better than streaming?

I’d have to sit in a dark room for half an hour after that

I think it works in this context as they are small sided games and short and teams are created to be evenly matched.

Not sure it would work between different clubs over a certain age but it would make me think again about how we stream in training.

1 Like

What part will your crew take 9 years to be able for?

:grin: most of it

1 Like

Amazing what a new GPO will do……our all Irelands based on similar but as across two age groups weak lads can disappear a bit. If you’ve numbers to keep in one age group, which I’m sure Crokes have - perfect.

1 Like

You must miss her already mate.

Her?

The lovely Maria?

Do you typically follow the movements of female GPOs in other counties?

That’s a bit creepy mate

5 Likes

I follow the movement of male and female GPO’s. Try not to be a chauvinist. Men can be GPO’s too.

Crokes poaching another one.