Official TFK GAA Coaches Corner

[quote=“TheUlteriorMotive, post:1439, topic:20004, full:true”] Conor Laverty of Down on transition from defence to attack
[/quote]

Would you mind fattening that one out pal?..how long did he talk for? Anything insightful?

It is on this Saturday so can do that next week no problem

Cheers…be interested to see what detail this goes into…surely a risk of over analysis? … what’s the vibe in Crokes with the hurlers paying more coin for a manager while the footballers have to pull on the heart strings of ex players to manage them?..

It’s pitch based and 75 minutes for that part so will see. Also talking about forward play

People I spoke to view is Crokes should be able to find a manager internally

I would think they are concentrating short term on halting neighbours Cuala’s gallop …in fairness the footballers have a good few old skoolers in that management team who won a lot with crokes…

It was all physios. I went to the course.

Physio’s haven’t a notion on how to warm up teams well. Bar the very odd outlier who goes and educates himself properly both academically and in am applied manner

The actual involvement of many of those people was miniscule. There was no research done until afterwards. I’M sure they attaches papers to it as “evidence” but if in the same manner as FIFA 11 then alot of it is just finding something suitable to attach, not actual evidence. FIFA 11 has been pretty much dismantled by most people who actually are involved in producing teams

Who was the sports scientist?

I asked what S&C was involved and was told none. By the guy delivering it.

Are you sure FIFA 11 is a suitable warm up?
I’M not. I found many holes in it.

All studies done on both GAA 15 and FIFA 11 were controlled.
As in against no warm up.

So obviously a warm up will be better than against no warm up.

And my major issue with it is its off the shelf. So no learning. Coach education fails gaa again.

I’m almost sure Cian O Neill was centrally involved in it.

The example above isn’t great and should incorporate much more ballwork

Lads they just copied a pasted a warm up from another sport.

People put their name to it for exposure and/or coin.

That’s the reality.

His name was not mentioned at the time but maybe he was involved subsequently. I wonder why he does not use it for the teams he coaches though. That’s a curious one.

It was clearly rushed out after a report on injuries .

It puts the cart before the horse in a very obvious way

For self interests sake can you give me an example of a warm up you would do for an adult team on match day?

Run out to the 21 and back there 5 times. Kick a few points. Scratch your balls. Hock up a loogie. Fix the hair.

1 Like

Structure - Senior Camogie (generally structure is the same)
Tuesday

• Warm up - 15.
  • Stability + Bottom Up Triphasic strength
  • Dynamic Coordination & Biomechanics - A & B March Skips + Cariocas
  • Hurling coordination Movement - random
  • Agility game
  • 25M x4 100M Tempo

This below is the first thing we do. It’s loaded and built differently as these are women. Not much different but different

Stability + Bottom up Strength - 10 mins

• Ankle Mobility 8/8/8 + Ankle Hops x30s
  • Lunge Matrix x2 e/s
  • Nordics + Rvs Nordics x6
  • Eccentric-Isometric Split Squat x5-5-5 e/s + Split Jumps x3 e/s
  • Squat Superset 》ISO Squat x20s + C/Balance Squat x 15 + Squat Jumps x5
  • Single Leg hinge x6 + Broad Jumps x 5

Men’s senior Football

• Warm up - 15.
  • Stability + Bottom Up Triphasic strength
  • Dynamic Coordination & Biomechanics - A & B March, Skips + Cariocas
  • Agility game
  • Football Shadowing

Slight variation for lads who will do strength training (in this teams case) separately.
Stability + Bottom Up Triphasic strength

• Ankle Mobility & hops
  • Eccentric-Isometric Split Squat x5-5-5 e/s + Split Jumps x3 e/s
  • Squat Superset 》ISO Squat x20s + C/Balance Squat x 15 + Squat Jumps x5
  • Single Leg hinge x6 + Broad Jumps x 5
  • Single Leg push Game 1v1

Much harder to get girls to do strength work so we do it within hurling sessions

1 Like

Thanks very much. You’re a gent.

1 Like

You ungrateful cur.

You’re a gent also.

I’d try a bit of both, while I’d disagree entirely with everything Kev said, there might be a morsel of value in there if you mine deep enough.

Bit premature no? You haven’t checked if you’ve 15 yet.

Ooooooft

13 aside option available for Junior B and C, be grand.

Pat O Neill, Pat Duggan and Niall Moyna were the main drivers behind it. A few of Moynas lecturers in DCU also were involved as well as physios from Duggans Carysfort Clinic. Sligo IT, UCD, DCU and Carlow IT also involved in a process that began in 2006.

Any studies I have seen on it and the FIFA 11 is not about warm up against no warm up, its about the studies of team who use traditional warm up as opposed to these ones and what injuries the squad suffered over the seasons.

I also met someone in WIT who completed a thesis on the various warm up techniques and again, it was done in 2 ways, on each other (ie FIFA 11 v GAA 15) and also on previous warm up methods. I had not seen and study that was completed as opposed to no warm up. That would be utterly pointless if it was.

And you did “the course”. I’m sure there are lots of courses on it being rolled out over the country. The one I attended had a current Kilkenny hurling coach and a Wicklow football coach, both through Carlow IT who did the presentation. There was no physios mentioned or involved in any shape or form.

2 Likes

Mick Dempsey is a gent.

1 Like