Official TFK GAA Coaches Corner

Cody & Donoghue still believe in this approach.

Fao of @TreatyStones

https://twitter.com/P_J_Browne/status/1103043126447480832?s=19

1 Like

This is a great clip. This is the type of analysis you very rarely get on TV.

https://youtu.be/9bLGTo94vpg

1 Like

Coaching 7-8 year old group… we are back training again in a few weeks. We asked them to practice rising the ball and catching it on our last session last autumn and that those who can do it might get something as a reward…

So… in the age of ‘everyone is a winner’ do you just give them all something (even the ones that didnt bother to practice) or do you just reward the ones who practiced it and can do it

I know we’ll end up giving them all something as they are a bit young yet but there must be some point in their development where there is a need to only reward those who put in the work.

Thoughts?

Those who can rise it and catch do one less lap of the field.

2 Likes

Reward the improvement as opposed to the actually ability to complete the skill. Supposing Mary couldn’t even hold a Hurley but now she’s holding it ok and making a decent fist at rising it she should be rewarded. I wouldnt make it an everyone’s a winner situation but at the same time dont necessarily black list those who cant complete the skill but may have tried to improve

3 Likes

They all get a jersey. The lads who can rise it get to start the Go Games.

When they get back see who can do it. The lads who can do it have been practising anyway so they have the internal motivation anyway - no kid is practicing for 4 months for some future reward.

Reset the clock and each week hand out a few awards (piece of paper with Best Improvement, best effort, best grip etc etc ) mix the awards around each week

1 Like

Or if a text is going out to parents you can mention you’ll be testing the skills which might remind the children to start practicing in the week leading up to the first training.

1 Like

lads, they are 7…

Exactly, rewards me bollox. A kick up the hole for the lot of em

3 Likes

images

Let them off to the Reward Corner

12 Likes

A spin around the field in the transport box.

1 Like

Reward them with a new skill to learn. You could be on to a winner here. Make it like fortnite or pubg with rewards and levels. That’s what they’re all in to now

Scream at them, then literally melt down in a frenzy, unseemly frothing at the side of your mouth helps, tell them the greatest honour they will ever have is to wear the purple and gold in a county final, nothing will ever beat that in their pathetic lives, tell them if they die with that jersey on they will really live forever, but if they back from a challenge they will have shamed their families and disgraced their grandparents. Fall to your knees then, sobbing softly and muttering to yourself, ‘bend backs…hurl parallel to the ground…parallel to the ground…’

3 Likes

:joy:

Do it for the parish

What a minefield though, don’t reward everyone and the parents will be out for your blood. Do and what use.

1 Like

Bringing our under 8s down to play James Stephens on Sunday morning.

Very worried we literally won’t keep it pucked out to them.

Double sweeper the only job

2 Likes

Heard an interesting story from a “weaker” hurling county. They put a huge effort into their underage teams, bringing them all over the country to play challenges and getting them games in county grounds etc, but they found then that when the same players got to minors/21s the fall off was huge. They reckoned one of the major factors was they had gotten so much so young that there was nothing to motivate them as they got older. That if they were doing it again they wouldn’t have given the so much and held back things like playing in Croke Park, PUC, Thurles etc until they were older.

I dont know how much the theory holds up but I thought it was an interesting angle all the same .

1 Like