Official TFK UFC Thread

Failed rugby player and MMA fighter Cathal Penred has a column in the Indo about this. Give me Ken Earley any day.

This is what happens when drunken McGregor fans (there are no other kind) get on board a plane.

4 Likes

All Aldo has to do is avoid the straight left. Best way to do that is get McGregor on the ground.
We’ve already seen that McGregor’s takedown defence is mediocre. Mendes was 10 seconds from being 2 rounds up.

Aldo gets him on the ground it becomes a World Class jiu jitsu fighter vs a brown belt.
Aldo by submission is 8/1 and I see it as a really good option.

If Aldo is stupid enough to engage for long periods on his feet he is asking for trouble.
Aldo wins by: Leg kick, leg kick, take down, ground and pound, submit.
McGregor wins by: Staying on feet, movement, fancy misdirection kicks, straight left.

2 Likes

This is a very good summary analysis. I think Aldo has too many facets to his arsenal So long as Aldo works the leg kick early and often, he should win. If he can neuatralise and wear him with leg kicks, and force McGregor to go more aggressive with his strking, counter shooting could work well. McGregor maintained his full guard sufficiently against Mendes, but I don’t think Mendes was aggressive enough to really test his ground skills (perhaps Mendes was conserving in light of his no camp).

Chael Sonnen had some good inisight into how the mind games have made this into something new and not seen before in the UFC in that both fighters seem legitamtely scared to lose. Aldo was rattled before 189, but now McGregor seems cagey too. He’s already pre-emting a loss with excuses. In such a situation, I think Aldo has the upper hand. He’s used to the pressure and the catastrophe that a loss would be. McGregor has never been faced with the prospect of a supremely dangerous opponent with a full camp, and it’s beginning to show.

Whats all this about sid

Barristers do that nonsense too as if every word they speak is …a…carefully…selected…gemstone…they…have…mined…cut…polished…and…now…bestow…the…privilege…of…sharing…with…you…to…educate…and…improve…you

Learned behaviour and if you don’t go too slow it makes people listen to what you are saying as it works on story telling principle.

McGregor does it in that conscious competence stage of learning that @Bandage driving seems to be stuck at

1 Like

Aldo will want to win on his feet though. Pride innit. Also the leg kick is being exaggerated I think, gonna be harder for him to deliver it against a southpaw and easier for McGregor to defend.

You think he’d rather win on his feet than have McGregor so physically dominated that he has to cry uncle? OK, disagree.

Nah, McGregor’s stance is not ideal for defending the Aldo leg kicks, his lead leg is far too out there for him not to continuously pick it off. Plus the fact that Aldo’s leg kicks are absolutely ferocious. Stepping off the stance will hinder McGregor’s ability to control and pick off with the straight left, which is where he is best.

1 Like

:rollseyes:

1 Like

I genuinely think he will want to show he is a better striker, better than McGregor in every facet.

UFC scum

Aldo by submission @ 8/1 looks every generous

Why are the odds so long?

Guy in a Tyrone jersey in video! :eek:

Because its already been fixed

We should leave all the scum out there and close the borders

1 Like

Not a surprise really. He does attract the lowest common denominator

1 Like

Plenty of Cork GAA fans so?

Do you have much experience with Cork GAA fans?