On this day

30 years ago today, 25 February 1989, Frank Bruno hurt Mike Tyson. Get in there, Frank!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRwXf6Pv-yE

Who won

1 Like

Tyson. Frank really hurt him though. Apparently Frnak was the first fighter to hurt Tyson.

Big Kevin McBride from clones put iron mike on his arse .

2 Likes

30 years ago today, a little known band, still finding their groove, play the Hacienda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZNltc2Ft3o

4 Likes

Feeling very old now

Some song.

1 Like

Something honrale about seeing a band like that, just about to breakout. Their lives about to change irrevocably for ever. Still somewhat raw in the moment and their movement, but all the mannerisms you remember now, but back then, in their infancy.

1 Like

Some breakout to make though. ‘I Wanna Be Adored’.

1 Like

Stuff of dreams really. A statement.

So what if the second album didn’t live up to the first. What fucking could. :pint:

2 Likes

It’s still not bad though.

2 Likes

Agreed. I’m a fan.

+1, I never understood why it was regarded as a failure to the extent it is, it’s a daycent album.

1 Like

They called it The Second Coming after all :smile:

The expectation around it could never be lived up to.

One for the afternoon that’s in it - I remember it well. I wanna be adored at 5.15

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XOrVs1ffvbc

Aston Villa hosted Coventry City on 27 February, 1999

The Villa line up:
Michael Oakes, Steve Watson, Gareth Southgate, Dion Dublin, Simon Grayson, Riccardo Scimeca, Alan Wright, Lee Hendrie, Paul Merson, Ian Taylor, Julian Joachim.

The last time an all English side fielded in the Premier League

• Gregory did not stop at picking 11 Englishmen in the game – he also used three subs from the same country. Mark Draper, Gareth Barry and Stan Collymore all came on for Villa, who found the net courtesy of a penalty from Dublin in the 55th minute (which made the score 2-1).
  • The 1998-99 season was the first in the Premier League where the percentage of English players used in the competition dropped below 50 (48.2%).
  • There has never been a Premier League match in which all 22 players who started were English. QPR and Newcastle United came close in January 1994, combining to select 21 between them. The only non-Englishman involved that day was Tony Roberts, QPR’s Welsh goalkeeper.
  • Gregory named teams containing 10 Englishmen on 10 occasions after that Coventry fixture. The only other two clubs to hit that number since are West Ham, against Tottenham in March 2003 (Czech Tomas Repka was the odd man out), and Middlesbrough, who fielded Scotsman James Morrison against Fulham, in May 2006.
  • Aston Villa have named the most all-English starting XIs in Premier League history (19). Newcastle United (14) are second, while other clubs to do so are Arsenal (5), Coventry (4), Leicester City (3), Oldham Athletic (3), Sheffield Wednesday (2), Tottenham Hotspur (2), Norwich City (1), Leeds United (1) and Southampton (1).
  • Just 238 days after losing to Coventry, Villa were involved in the first Premier League fixture to see no Englishmen selected in a starting line-up. Wimbledon were their opponents, with Norwegian boss Egil Olsen including players from the following countries: Jamaica (3), Scotland (2), Wales (2), plus one each from Guyana, Iceland, Norway and the Republic of Ireland.
  • Of the five English managers to name teams in the Premier League era that did not include a fellow countryman, three have also taken charge of the Three Lions. Kevin Keegan, who went without an English player in an XI once, back in November 2002, was the first. He was followed by: Sam Allardyce (six times) and Steve McClaren (four times). Brian McDermott (once) and Alan Pardew (five times) complete the quintet.
  • Arsenal have selected the most line-ups in the competition with no Englishmen – and it is not even close. It has occurred for the Gunners on 173 occasions, putting them well clear of second-placed Wigan Athletic (42). Manchester United, in contrast, have only done it once — it was in a derby fixture against Manchester City in 2009, though Alex Ferguson did send on English duo Wayne Rooney and Paul Scholes as substitutes in a 2-0 win.
2 Likes

Cheers pal. Did you write all that yourself?

I did. Call me Opta Blue.

John Gregory always* struck me as a solid Brexit voting type.

*Not always - since 2016 actually.