On this day

It’s 25 years to the day that Oasis released their first single, Supersonic. I feel very old. I am very old.

3 Likes

Sounds as fresh as ever.

1971 - The GAA lifts its ban on members playing or attending ‘foreign’ sports such as soccer or rugby

25 years ago today - 2 May 1994.

10.43 in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVJHTQA0iys

30 years ago today, this masterpiece, voted no. 498 in Rolling Stone Top 500 albums ever

5 Likes

On this day 5/5/1981 Bobby Sands died

Tyler: It’s finished at Sunderland, Manchester United have done all they can …

Manchester City are still alive here.

Balotelli.

AAAAAAGGGGGGGGGUUUUUUUEEEERRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I swear you’ll never see anything like this ever again. So watch it, drink it in.

They’ve just heard the news at The Stadium of Light. Two goals in added time for Manchester City to snatch the title away from Manchester United.

Quinn: STUPENDOUS! The greatest moment I’ve seen in Premier League football.

1 Like

Denis Spriggs was, like his father, a plasterer. He was also a member of C Company, 1st Battalion of the Cork IRA No. 1 Brigade. During the War of Independence Spriggs was involved in many actions against the enemy and as a result he had to go on the run. When the truce came in the summer of 1921 he returned home to see his mother. His presence back on Strawberry Hill was relayed back to the authorities and they decided to arrest him .

(A plaque on the wall to the right marks the spot where Spriggs was murdered.)

The South Staffordshire Regiment had a reputation in Cork for their shoot to kill policy. Many civilians and IRA volunteers fell foul of their guns, including Denis Spriggs.
On the night he was taken from his home he was, according to the British troops, shot while trying to escape. The British soldiers claimed the tail board on the lorry fell down and Spriggs jumped out .

It is more likely that Spriggs was pushed out of the lorry and then shot against the wall - executed without trial. The “shot while trying to escape” story was not believed by those on living on Blarney Road or across the rebel city .

The day after the Series Finale of LOST. Lads were losing their minds.

That was their fault entirely for not turning it off about 6 seasons earlier when it became apparent the writers hadn’t a fucking breeze what was happening not to mind a way to finish it

3 Likes

24th May 1999 Travis released one of the last great albums of the 90s The man who. 20 years fuck.

https://youtu.be/zzUdJ-5fscA

2 Likes

Great tune. Fuck they were miserable though :joy:

2 Likes

Yesterday was also the the 20th anniversary of Owen Hart.
https://youtu.be/K2-IQ81eiuw

An utterly, utterly brilliant album. The Invisible Band is excellent also.

1 Like

Tragic, but at least he never had to listen to Travis

1 Like

Dya think? :eyes:

the brother was even worse

That sounds like the inverse of a comment which some GAA bogger from the club of a county star would say.

1 Like

Hi mother was RC ( AFAIK/ remember)

That’s the truth