On this day

Had a grand few pints in NY the day before the Italy game, drank from the Stanley Cup, TV coverage broke from the NBA finals next door in the Garden to follow the OJ car chase, what a trip

6 Likes

Unreal.

It was a better effort than Baggio .

2 Likes

I’d be for redirecting Jonathan to the more relevant thread for this effort:

Compulsive liars are hilarious.

1 Like

Jonathan Wilson is a man upon whose word you can rely. This happened.

2 Likes

Tim Vickery is an alright sort

2 Likes

I would concur, as straight laced a man as there is I’d say

That’s quite the uninteresting anecdote

1 Like

I once told Richie Bennis what gate his flight was leaving from but I’m not on Twitter blowing about it

1 Like

Thomondgate isn’t in an airport though

1 Like

That would sound about right given who said it.

Please tell me it was gate 5 and you got in the Dan the man joke?

2 Likes

At exactly this time 156 years ago after 3 days of intense fighting the battle of Gettysburg and in effect the American civil war as a whole is decided by one of military histories most significant moments when almost 14,000 men of the army of Northern Virginia are repelled by their Union counterparts in a bloody advance known as Picketts charge. Casualties are horrific on both sides including scores of Irish.

3 Likes

Vicksburg siege was lifted on the same day and was arguably far more significant as it opened up the Mississippi and put it back in Union control.

Significant alright but in comparison to the South receiving it’s first major defeat(Antietam was a stalemate if a tactical Union victory) and forcing them back across the Potomac and forever more into a defensive campaign thus ending any hope Lee had of finishing the war and negating the Unions far superior numbers and industrial advantage.

Did they not lose at Shiloh long before Gettysburg? The Confederate overall army leader Albert Sydney Johnstone was killed. President Davis later said the war was lost with his death.