On this day

Forty years ago by God…

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2022/0919/1324204-forty-years-ago-today-seamus-darby-scored-that-goal/

1 Like

Iconic commentary.

2 Likes

The commentary after the final whistle is where he really excels.

Would ya take down that umbrella and get wet like a decent man.

I was on the Hill that day with the father in the middle of a gang of Biffos. Fairly sure we paid at the stiles.

My sister got married the day before. The do was in The Glen Hotel Aherlow.

It was the last mens all Ireland final my auld lad went to. He only took a notion of going to the game that morning milking. He went to early mass and got a train at Limerick junction. Paid in at the gate.The man he went with only died last week. He was on the canal end and still talks about the sway of the crowd after the goal. Reckons he was carried 15 yards. He had a programme but it was destroyed in the rain.

14 Likes
1 Like

id say that was the day that joanne decided that joe had to go after having star roaring that at her

An understated raising of Sam there by Geezer @Cheasty

1 Like

Myself and my brothers were at this. Left at the final whistle, drove to my grandmother’s home for her funeral. She wouldn’t have it any other way.

She died on her 90th birthday.

6 Likes

Stevie from Killeavey was a prince of an inside forward.
Sublime off either foot and a warrior to boot.

2 Likes

Huge pity Ronan Clarke got such bad injuries he was excellent that day.

4 Likes

That was a brilliant flick by McGrane.

I’m trying to give McConville the benefit of the doubt that he teed up the handpass deliberately for McGrane to flick it on to him but I’m pretty sure it was just a hospital pass.

That All-Ireland was celebrated like no other All-Ireland in my memory. The last few minutes of it were off the scale tense.

1 Like

He gave the much vaunted Pony spades of it

The GOAT

I was at it. Front row of the upper Hogan.
It was incredible.

1 Like

This thread is a home for these ones - 56 years ago - Galway’s 3 in a row.
One of my favourite teams of all time.

7 Likes

9 years

2 Likes