On this day

08/03/1971 ; Frazier beat Ali at MSG.

1 Like

Nelson’s Pillar was blown up by the RA 8/3/66 1.30am

1 Like

Nobody minds o gara taking a few slaps.

30 years ago the Joshua Tree was released

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5kJGg5SUls

My mere disdain for U2 began to harden into outright dislike after the release of the Joshua Tree.

2 Likes

Molotov, of cocktail fame was born today, March 9th 1890. Ex Russian minister famous for the ribben tropp pact with the nazis.

I cannot wait to see them in the Olympiastadion in July.

I will most likely make my way via Zoo Station on the U2 U Bahn line to the stadium.

As OMC once sang - How Bizarre.

Always liked that song, not sure why. It was excellently used in the underrated Three Kings movie a few years back.

The Joshua Tree is still my favourite album. My oul fella queued up for ages in a record store in Carlow to buy it as a belated birthday present for me on the day it was released. I was incredibly excited to get it (vinyl of course), dampened somewhat when my next door neighbours arrived in a short time later pleading for a loan of it for an hour so they could record it. I listened to nothing else for months afterwards. It’s like an old friend now, some of it dated, but most of it still sounds utterly brilliant to me. Larry Mullen did an interview on Dave Fannings radio show the Friday before release where they played some tracks (from memory Bullet The Blue Sky, With of Without You, One Tree Hill, Running to Stand Still). Niall Stokes’ review in Hot Press was entitled “U2’s Desert Island Disk”. Then the Time mag cover, then world domination. I’m looking forward to them playing the album on this Joshua Tree tour they have, hopefully coming to Sydney.
The period between Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree I’ve always found very interesting, hints of what was coming. Solo projects like Edge with various soundtracks, Live Aid, Self Aid, playing Trip Through Your Wires (or a bloody awful version of it) on TV Ga Ga. Various interviews in Hot Press. But nothing really of the actual album until that Mullen interview a couple of days before release.
I love it, I think it’s a fucking brilliant album. Even the artwork, the Corbijn photos are stunning.

4 Likes

In 1964, Brendan Behan died aged just 41.

Dame Vera Lynn born 100 years ago today.

2 Likes

Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jl20jlVnvYs

You’ll have to get the S-bahn from the Zoologisher Garten to Olympiastadion

3 Likes

It would be awesome to see her do a comeback special show at Wembley Stadium this year.

I saw Tony Bennett in the BGE last year and he was 90

2 Likes

He first met his wife when he met her pregnant mother. Some innings.

1 Like

10 years ago today. Stephen Ireland 1 Wales 0.

The first association football game to take place at Croke Park since February 1993 when myself and other first year classmates played a five a side game under the Canal End while our school’s senior Gaelic football team was playing outside on the pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOkX58gChqQ

Will RTE be showing a documentary about it tonight?

CC @rylernugent

I think there’s a special anniversary match to mark the occasion, or something.