Only the 2022 National Hurling League? Only the Allianz 2022 National Hurling League

I think this is a hugely ignored factor in his excellence.

1 Like

He’s a fabulous player but it’s probably the same for all modern backs to be honest.

Gleeson is a far more rangey-er* stickman but Lynch a far more complete player in terms of application of skill.

Lynch is a very skilful hurler but his touch, footwork, vision and quick hands which open stuff up for others is what sets him apart. I’d say his long striking is one of his more moderate skills relative to the other stuff he can do

*is that a word

2 Likes

That’s it exactly as it stands.

Would that facet have anything to do with you not being from Waterford?

A fair summary. Obviously CL is the more valuable player.

Rangier?

Wise words, Mike.

1 Like

Was kind of a funny one, as that great Cork team got better from 03’ onward, the more marginalised he became in general play as he got no direct ball.

1 Like

Good luck to the chap. If he is anything like his father, on and off the field, he will be a right one.

2 Likes

Maybe so – but SF’s footwork in tight corners is mesmerizing.

1 Like

I should say that what I most admire about AG in technical terms is his ability to hurl with his arms fully extended. The most difficult thing in the game, because everything is wristwork.

A KK friend of mine is the same. A lefthander who was beaten to write with his right. He has absolutely no sense of direction and would claim that others that this happened to are similar.

1 Like

Thanks. The whole thing was disgusting. Imagine a four year old now being hit on his or her first day in school… There would be murder. And rightly so.

I am lefthanded, needless enough to say.

4 Likes

Iirc, the 2000 munster semi final v limerick, he finished the game with an unbelievable double from the air. Limerick after a sluggish start had built a bit of momentum and a goal early in the second half had them within touching distance. JDs goal finshed it as a contest

1 Like

Id agree.

It’s also a case in point why Corner forwards in the modern game are not the prized assets they were in years gone by.

Lads like Carey, Fox, Fitzgibbon & Dooley etc. Those lads lived on breaks and being in front.

The modern game needs lads breaking through from midfield or the half forwards breaking lines to get or create goals.

Last teams really that thrived in recent years trying to play a conventional formation were Tipp & KK ironically enough.

1 Like

Rangier ?

Strong enough team.

1 Like

I’m also not from Limerick :joy::joy:

1 Like

On a less abrasive note, I very much believe Galway would have retained their title in 2018 if Conor Cooney, a terrific hurler, had been left at full forward.

Fair enough.

We are having a most enjoyable discussion about hurling. Or at least I am. You need disagreement for discussion.