Only the 2022 National Hurling League? Only the Allianz 2022 National Hurling League

yeah it is maybe an unfair comparsion. one reason is below

Lynch has had a far better team and squad around him than Gleeson

You mention Ken McGrath. Other than Brian Corcoran did any player man a back line role and a forward line position to such good effect. Kyle Hayes is up there with them now

Itā€™s not good enough to say that Cian Lynch is a brilliant hurler, the most consistently brilliant hurler in the country, you need to invent new superlatives or they wonā€™t be happy :man_shrugging:

1 Like

In a completely different era and I wouldnā€™t even compare them, Eamon Creegan went from centre back to corner forward.
Interestingly Brian Whelehans performance in the 98 final was one for the ages so I I suspect hes one that coukd have been successful at both

Just a point regarding TK. A few years back he ran amuck vs Limerick in a Munster championship game in Thurles. Got something like 8/9 points from play.

A man whose opinion I take seriously still maintained that Limerick had no plan to contain him that day. They concentrated on winning the other battles and planned that it would be enough to win the game. Kelly was unmarkable in their eyes was his opinion.

7 Likes

Exactly. Gleeson might have great highlights but if you actually want to win something heā€™s way down the list of players youā€™d want. Heā€™s holding Waterford back.

Was that 2017? Shur didnā€™t Limerick do more or less the same in 2020 and he ran riot as well.

Fair assessment.

When KK beat Limerick in 2019 they contained Lynch really well, nullified him to the detriment of Limericks chances.

Hurling was created in 2018 according to the forumā€™s hurlix

5 Likes

It broke down in 2019?

It was the umpireā€™s fault

Did he infect them with arrogance?

He went from corner forward to centre back I thought.

1 Like

:grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

No. He started centre back in 73. Played corner forward in 80

73 was more of a once off wasnā€™t it, he played in the forwards nearly all his career and for the rest of 73 as well
Cregan has played for years before that in the forwards

He was only moved back there to mark Pat Delaney in the final. He was corner forward in the Munster final and scored two goals.

2 Likes

Ollie Moran went from the forwards to the backs to the forwards. Not to anything like the effect of some of the others mentioned in fairness. Ken McGrath was an all time great and a magical hurler, he could impose himself on a game and do anything, from any position. A force of nature. He could have played in any era. Tommy Walsh and Ciaran Carey were similar in how they played, magical watching them.

1 Like

Fair enough. My bad @backinatracksuit and @glasagusban

TK also brought Ballyea all the way to Croke Park with a relatively limited supporting cast, far inferior to what Lynch has to work with in Patrickswell.

Another feather in his cap.

2 Likes

Has gleeson ever won a county?