Only the 2022 National Hurling League? Only the Allianz 2022 National Hurling League

WW is utterly admirable. A man who has made the absolute most of his ability. A gentleman too according to a proper lady @Midshipman_Asha
Hutchinson is an outstanding forward.

Dessie Hutchinson and Stephen Bennett are huge additions for them in recent years. Bennett never really became a central figure under Derek but has blossomed since Liam Cahill took charge. They now have plenty of marquee forwards whereas around 2016/17 most of their best performers were defenders/midfielders. They have the firepower to win it now. I’d rank them above Cork. A lot of the optimism in Cork is based on last years minor and U20 success but that won’t filter through to seniors for another couple of years yet. Most of the current Cork team is built around the teams beaten by Tipp in the 2018 and 2019 U21/20 finals.

I’d reckon it’s Waterford Vs Limerick really, though kk could crash a party on a given day.

Lynch’s greatest strengths are really his anticipation and vision/imagination on the ball. Huge game intelligence. Class hurler capable of beautiful touches too of course but its the other stuff.

Lynch is a bit like Shefflin in how well he uses the ball. Different attributes/doesnt score as heavily but a real leader of the attack at 11. He is adding scores too.

Gleeson is some technician. Best around today. Hopefully he can figure out how to get on enough ball to fulfill his potential. Lots of parallels with Joe Canning.

1 Like

If Hutchinson can improve his striking, he could be the top inside forward in the game. He has nearly all the rest.

2 Likes

Lads thought lynch wasn’t great in the fitzgibbon final. Look what happened when he was (outrageously) sent off. I’d say Lynch and Hayes are the two most effective hurlers playing. Aussie is technically the most gifted perhaps. His 2017 final performance was strange really.

2 Likes

Remarkable too when you consider he was playing soccer in England for a few years too and had catching up to do.

2 Likes

That’s the word exactly, ‘effective’. What marks them out for me is how quickly they both do everything.

Both would be very effective at any field sport really, they just have it.

Lynch is a machine of an athlete as well which is underplayed, like his uncle.

To me, SeĂĄn Finn is the best hurler on the current Limerick team. His ability in tight circumstance is awesome.

But you will be happy to know I have 1300 words two weekends’ time on CL’s not so obvious brilliance as well as his obvious brilliance.

9 Likes

I think that point is an excellent one – especially when you look at how Mikey Drennan fared hurling when he returned to Kilkenny.

2 Likes

Nicely put. I agree with all of those comments.

CL can still improve. Could score more and improve his left side striking. Two aspects could be related.

1 Like

He dinked a 5 yard pass into I think Kiely, for a goal chance last week that was sublime. They are really hunting goals this year.

They could’ve had a few against Limerick on the big day and maybe things could’ve been a bit different.

True.

SB is gifted – and a bit underrated.

DH looks to be getting a bit more steely. Winning the Club All Ireland probably did a lot for him.

1 Like

I would agree Sean Finn is excellent. He is also protected in limericks system as well. Half forwards dropping deep to track men. Half backs never allowing space between them and the full back line etc.

For me lynch is the best player in the country.

1 Like

Yes, got the most of himself. And yes, a lovely man. Freely admits he would give anything for someone to have cured him of gripchanging when he was a young fella.

AF, a gentleman as well, is far more touchy on the subject.

Gillane, Byrnes and Lynch, none of them are very good off their bad side which is a bit odd for the level of player they are.

Gillane has crashed in a few big goals off the right but wouldn’t look in complete control. I’d say he works very, very hard at his hurling. Fair play to him.

Dunno about changing the grip. He got MOTM in the all Ireland with it.

@Malarkey , Austin Gleeson or Tony Kelly?

Was Frank Cummins a cack handed hurler? Left hand on top hurling off his right, I remember he did a bit of coaching with us as kids, (his young fella was with us) and it stuck with me, but o could be mistaken, he was some player

No… He would have been far better again as an orthodox rhoter – his own assessment, into the bargain. His decision-making ability on the run is poor, which I link to a subliminal awareness he has to run a line where he can grip change. He is also poor in the air, despite the prevalent myth in this regard.

Watch how a cackhander often runs to the ball. They will run to take possession in a manner that allows them to run into a space that allows a rightsided stroke, when the correct/better option would have been to collect in a manner that led to a left-sided stroke. Running in the wrong line to a ball is one of the main reasons cackhanded youngsters should be coaxed into rhot.