Only the 2022 National Hurling League? Only the Allianz 2022 National Hurling League

AG, just about.

No, FC is lefthanded.

1 Like

Gleeson technically better than TK and Lynch…oh wait I just checked the date.

AG has improved a good bit on his right. I presume he is righthanded. Have not seen him signing an autograph.

DB is cackhanded – have a photo somewhere of him signing an autograph with his right hand – but ferociously effective.

By the way, cackhandedness also goes the other way. John Conlon and Richie Reid are both lefthanded – but this version does not stick out as much.

1 Like

Again: you have nothing to contribute.

As you just proved.

He’s my favourite hurler to watch over the past five years or so. It’s a pity he plays for Limerick :laughing:

Gleeson is an incredible talent.

He’s outstanding. Is he the best out and out corner back so far this century?

1 Like

This is a great little debate I have facilitated here on a Friday evening.

3 Likes

in fairness to @Malarkey here, he has absolutely qualified his rating of Gleeson, a technically brilliant hurler but not one to be reliant on to perform. This is a common thing, you can have an absolutely brilliantly skilled hurler who might be the most talented, but is not a leader or controls a game or is consistent. They are different qualities that run through all sports. Similar to how some dont think Shefflin is the most skilful hurler of all time, but may consider him the best hurler of all time in spite of that.

8 Likes

A great contribution to the forum.

1 Like

Diarmaid Byrnes Autograph 2

1 Like

I think so.

I agree. CL is a magician. He also does influential things not easy to spot, except by sitting down with the recording.

Very true. The Bonnar Maher was an outstanding player but not a technically gifted hurler like others.

Mea culpa, I always associated cackhandedness with switching hands for some reason.

1 Like

When you take everything into account I think Hegarty is the most effective player in the country.

What would you call someone who is right handed, holds the hurley right handed but is naturally a left sided striker?

Don’t know but its actually a good thing because its a lot more difficult for an opponent to hook you if you’re hitting it off your “wrong” side as you’re not as open

For what it is worth, the three best hurlers in technical terms I have seen closely in their prime would be DJ Carey, Brian Whelahan and Richie Power Jr.

How much of the greater skill in today’s game is down to the increase in the size of the bas?