Opinion: Cillian O Connor

The GOAT

I have a higher opinion of Cillian Oā€™Connor than AOS. Heā€™s a limited forward but heā€™s not a coward or an egoist-bully in the same way that AOS is. COCā€™s scoring statistics actually increase slightly against Kerry and Dublin than in the Connacht Championship believe it or not (or so the Mayo man who gave me the ticket today told me).

I dont think COC is a forward who would frighten any top team but I dont think heā€™s ever cost Mayo a game in the same way that AOS has cost them lots.

1 Like

There was moment early enough in the second half where AOS won a ball out in front around 30 yards for goal. His man over committed and he had a clear path to goal only to turn like a ferry and unable to generate any pace and was easily swallowed up by the covering defenders.

I never recall him looking that slow or laborious on the turn. He was subbed not too long after.

What was he doing coming onto the pitch after Hennelly levelled it? Had the full time whistle gone at that stage?

He tackling/turnovers is impressive.
Heā€™s easily the greatest of all time.

It hadnt. He was acting the hard man like the self absorbed eejit he is

2 Likes

Cillian o connor is far from a bottler. Heā€™s gotten even last bit out of himself and never ever shirked responsibility.

I wouldnā€™t rate him as a great player but Iā€™d have massive respect for the man because with limited natural ability he has gotten so much out of himself.

Thereā€™s plenty of inter county players who if they had the same dedication as Cillian theyā€™d win so much more.

8 Likes

Iā€™d love if Cillian Oā€™Connor was from Monaghan, I thank God that Aidan Oā€™Shea is not.

Tom Brady Football GIF

Iā€™d agree with that, to an extent.

But he hides away from the ball. With Conroy and Oā€™Donoghue inside, Mayo carry such a bigger threat there as they are both so hungry for the ball.