Opinion: Cillian O Connor

These stats canā€™t factor in the pressure of the kick either. How many of those kicks for Rock for example were taken when they were 10+ points up?

He calls that out at the of the piece in fairness.

Iā€™m going to be honest and say I just looked at the numbers. I prefer numbers

even allowing for the expected points, Rocks conversion rate is far better than O Connors, moreso on the outer range.

O Connor is the second pitch graph. Once he hits that limit on his range, his shooting goes to shite.

No contest FFS. Rock all day.

Oā€™Shea for me.

Ah yeah it wonā€™t change the answer so much. It did the last time though and itā€™s why I think he overrated Oā€™Connor before. And he is therefore assessing a bigger drop off in his performance. I think he was too high based on volume and it didnā€™t take a lot to bring him back to average or below because he was never actually better than average. He simply took way more frees than average.

yeah Iā€™d take Oā€™Shea too, it was just a point of comparison with Rock and O Connor that fuelled a lot of the nerds like me bringing up stats.

Oā€™Connor is overated.

Case closed.

4 Likes

Great adjudicating.

1 Like

How many All Irelands did this clown cost Mayo over the years

2 Likes

Iā€™d say 3 anyway.

I got pelters for calling out AOS and COC for years. Those who know, know and I know.

2 Likes

Two Gaelic equivalents of Harry Kane

2 Likes

Team far more mobile and threatening sans both

2 Likes

The thing about Oā€™Connor was heā€™s a passenger, good finisher but thatā€™s all he really offers. Compare that to what Oā€™Donoghue and Conroy give, they want the ball, their movement is good, they can take defenders on and draw fouls.

With Oā€™Shea, heā€™s just a complete bellend, itā€™s all about him, a big lump of a lad with little football in him and vanity dripping off him. It was a huge call for Horan to make and Iā€™m delighted it work. You also have the conundrum of where you play him, doesnā€™t have the engine for the middle or the ability to play inside, doesnā€™t have the guile for the half forward line. I think heā€™s probably better used as an impact player off the bench.

1 Like

His stats on tackles and turnovers won show that up to be completely false.

1 Like

He was a statue, didnā€™t move for the ball, consistently profited off otherā€™s work when it was Vaughan, Keegan, Boyle, Durcan, McLoughlin, Parsons doing all the heavy lifting. Mayo are a better team without their two most high profile players.

1 Like

AOS nearly lost them the game with his awful finishing. He shat the pants.

Horan should spring him from the bench in the final if, and only if, Mayo are 4+ points up deep into injury time. And even then, it would be to wind down the clock. And only because nobody else, sub goalkeeper included, is available.

1 Like

He 100pc will start him even though he shouldnt. Sure he brought him back on at the end ffs. Will oisin Mullen be fit for the final? I hope the other semi isnā€™t played now so Kerry are undercooked. Kerry are a little overrated in any case i think. Clifford is phenomenally good but I think he can be rattled by the type of pacy tigerish defenders mayo have.

2 Likes