Opinion: Tj Reid

Curran > Hogan

1 Like

Tom Kenny.

1 Like

They weren’t average. They were very good from 1 to 9 and had a couple of very good forwards in O’Connor and Deane but carried a few passengers in the forwards which meant they lacked firepower at times.

Average teams don’t contest 4 all Ireland finals in a row and unfortunately Kilkenny’s dominance just after took away from their legacy.

They maxed out and fair play, they did their back to back, but in hurling terms they didn’t really have any hall of famers.

They’re forward line was purely functional.

Donal Og was the best goalie around. Wayne Sherlock was as good as any corner back.

Tom Kenny and Jerry wouldnt be bate too often in midfield.

Niall and Timmy mc werent great alright

The fact they achieved what they did without an all time great would indicate to me they were very much above average

I watched several of their games including the 2004 Munster hurling final over lock down and the standard back then was woeful.

They were very professional and got the job done to be fair.

Joe Deane is another very good player on that cork team.

Niall and Timmy were relatively reliable honest hard working hurlers which ever team needs. The issue was the fellas after them like the two Kieran Murphys, Niall Ronan et al couldn’t really be relied upon at all to perform. Would have been interesting to see if Setanta had stayed at home how he would have developed

Deane Corcoran O’Connor is a full forward line that compares well with most

3 Likes

Their half back line were a very dominant unit on their day, not too dissimilar to Limerick’s current half back line while they had a lot of pace and energy in the middle third which teams of that time struggled to live with.

They were efficient and a very tough team to beat. Waterford definitely had more flair than them and probably more top end talent in the likes of McGrath and Flynn but Cork were just a bit more dogged and better at the back.

Like I say I think the likes of Gardiner, Curran, Ben O’Connor were all excellent hurlers but Tommy, JJ and a few other Kilkenny lads who are in the conversation as the greatest of all time just usurped them as they were just simply better.

1 Like

Niall Mc and Timmy made that forward unit. Its what we currently are missing. You will nothing by picking the 6 ‘best’ forwards.

2 Likes

Ben Oconnor made that forward line mate

You just dont get it.

1 Like

I think his point is without the two grafters Ben wouldn’t have been as effective.

I have a different opinion to you, no need to get smarmy

And without Ben theyd have still scored fuck all, no matter how hard they worked

You completely miss the point that @Big_Dan_Campbell and I are making.

Thats the point im making, six ben o connors win you nothing. No balance.

1 Like

He loves an auld argument.

1 Like