Opinion: Tj Reid

Ye would have beaten Tipp handy. That team wasn’t great.

1 Like

I agree, that Tipp team didn’t do much since, apart from that win in 2019, but fair play to them for that. I think Waterford would have beaten that Tipp team fairly well if they met in the All Ireland. Waterford made the final again the year after

That Tipp team was I think the first to go direct from first round of Munster championship to All Ireland win in five consecutive wins. They hammered Cork and Waterford. Limerick and Galway, the coming teams, both gave them right good games, albeit Tipp had 14 men for most of the Limerick game. They were excellent in the final against a Kilkenny team going for three-in-a-row.

That was an excellent team. They were off form the following year (we don’t manage the idea of doing a back to back well obviously) and only lost by a point go Galway who were an absolute juggernaut that year. I’ve no doubt they would have bate Waterford in the '17 final if they got there.

2018 was a bit of a disaster, perfectly manifested in the few minute sequence whereby they are beating Clare, Brendan Maher does his cruciate, Jake Morris goes for goal and hits the post and Clare end up with a goal down the other end.

2 Likes

It was a good Tipp team but I think they were a bit over rated over that era. Limerick beat them in 2013 and 2014 and limerick were carrying a few passengers on that team. When that Tipp team did win something, they were usually bad the year after and worse the year after that

But Limerick never feared Tipp.

That Tipp team totally underachieved from 2013-17 they only won 1 all Ireland when they were the most consistent & talented squad around.

1 Like

If they only won one All Ireland they were hardly the most consistent? Limerick, Kilkenny, Galway regularly beat them. The kilkenny team of that time were much better than them. They were good, had some very good individuals, but were lacking a bit

Twas a poor era in hurling for sure. Clare were the worst All Ireland champions in my lifetime. Kk were a pale imitation of what they were.

Sure Limerick we’re there or thereabouts with Seamus Hockey wing forward and Seanie Tobin as one of their main attackers.

2 Likes

Kilkenny had more talent than Tipp and duly won more

Cork 1990 and Clare 1997 did it, but only played Kerry in the Munster quarter-final.

Cork 2005 had five consecutive wins to win the All-Ireland.

Had Bubbles point in 14 stood then that would not be true.

Would definitely not have won in 13 had we not been drawn away from home to the Kilkenny savages.

Savages that bowed out meekly against Cork?

That was there all Ireland that year, they were a busted flush and still would likely have won if Shefflin didn’t get a red.

2013 semi finals were the worst standard in history.

1 Like

I’ve said before that I think if either team didn’t face each other in the qualifiers, one of them would have won the All Ireland. I think Shefflin getting sent off v Cork did them no favours.

How could you say if bubbles point had stood in 2014? He hit it wide.

8 Likes

I’d agree Kilkenny were a better team with better players (although over the decade it’s 3-3 in finals against each other but obviously Kilkenny won a rake of others)

I would also think Tipp underachieved, in particular between 2011-15. Complacency perhaps. Management changes. 2011, in particular.

1 Like

Shur the Dublin manufactured Hurlers were well in the mix in that period. Shocking standard compared to the halcyon days of 2018-2022

3 Likes

The Dublin Cork one was ok if I recall. First half definitely was.

Us and Clare was absolute scutter

If limerick had beaten kilkenny in the 2014 semi final they would have beaten Tipp comfortably enough in the final, wouldn’t have needed a replay to do it. And limerick would have beaten kilkenny if Dowlings goal that he hit wide stood

@thelimericks replying… en masse.

They’ve a great team, well acknowledged that they have. Winning multiple All Irelands in a row, something Tipp haven’t gone near since the 60s. But to actually not recognise that was a really good Tipp team that unfortunately kept coming up against what was the (and perhaps still is) the greatest team of all time every year between 2009 and 2014 (Kilkenny eliminating them on five occasions) shows that @thelimericks have either a tremendous devotion to the ball hop or else know fuckall about hurling.

3 Likes

But it was also a Tipp team that came up against a mediocre limerick team and regularly lost