Orange stick Championships - Antwerp 2013 and London 2018

Very unlucky on Spain to lose out on the lottery that is penalties.
Ireland have reached the World Cup final by winning 2 games effectively cc @GeoffreyBoycott

1 Like

They could win a tournament winning 2 games?

If tomorrowā€™s final went to penalties, yes, yes they could.

Weā€™re like the Germanā€™s in shoot outs.

Gas stuff.

Genuine questions.
First, have we beaten a top 3 team yet, and second, can we take as long as we like over a penalty?

8 seconds

8 seconds

Unreal. Well done Ireland.

Lovely posh totty accent on Gillian here.

1 Like

Fcuk me, they were as cool as cucumbers. Thatā€™s a fantastic effort. The final surely isnā€™t tomorrow???

You would prefer to be advancing by winning rather than the lottery system.

Tis, seems mad alright

Ireland Ireland Ireland

Fuxake, and I thought the hurlers were hard done by playing a few weeks on the trot.

I wonder how many of those players were inspired to take up the game by the 1994 World Cup at Belfield. That was the biggest sporting event this country has ever hosted and though captain Sarah Kelleher and her team went out at the group stage, the pride they brought to Irish hockey during that tournament has proved to be of great benefit to the game here in the long run. They made Irish hockey players dream.

RTEā€™s nightly highlights programmes during that tournament were tremendous, with Jim Sherwin doing a bang up job on commentary and ā€œHit Me With Your Rhythm Stickā€ by Ian Dury and the Blockheads playing out the coverage every night. Iā€™d love Jim to be brought out of retirement and be given the chance to be behind the mike for the big one tomorrow.

Coach Shaw and his team are national heroes.

That was a splendid comparison of Anna Oā€™Flanagan to Luka Modric by one of our studio analysts.

We now know exactly how Croatia felt three weeks ago.

Since 2008 Iā€™ve provided occasional colour commentary for this forum on Olympic hockey, almost always involving the Dutch womenā€™s team. I canā€™t believe our girls will now be taking on the true greats of the game like Lidewij Welten, Maartje Paumen, Kitty van Male and Eva De Goede in the WORLD CUP FINAL.

1 Like

Shane Ross vindicated by giving that large sports grant for an additional hockey pitch in his constituency.

4 Likes

@caoimhaoin - as an Irish hockey insider can you sum up what this means and what this will do for the game here?

Great achievement.
Sailing rowing and hockey are producing medals.
Time to ban soccer and focus on these sports.

1 Like

Doing well in the Masters Tournament in Spain as well. Women (50+) in final this evening v Aussies. Australia strong favourites.

EXIN MASTERS WORLD CUP 2018 - W +50 - Final
04/08 20:00 Upcoming AUS v IRE

http://wcmasters2018.eu/