Oscars

Paddy gone home with his tae in a mug. At least they’ll have the designer gĂșnas to remember it by.

They embarrassed us.

It’s very enjoyable

Maybe a year down in the Joe McDonagh will be no harm for us.

14 Likes

It is fantastic

1 Like

The green wave me bollox

The Academy has softened the cough of a nation this morning

1 Like

It’s batshit crazy brilliant but can be quite eh, divisory if that’s the word. I knew absolutely nothing other than multiverse when I saw it, you’ll have done well to hear as little about it at this stage.

Ah they didn’t go empty handed, the short film fellas had a lovely night as did the special effect fellas who died the cupla focal.

The media jolly up couldn’t go to waste so I’m waking up & turning on the laptop (cc @Batigol) to interviews with some lad from Tallaght who won a prize for being best at carrying boxes of equipment on set or something. A proud day for Ireland.

6 Likes

Christ I thought there would be one winner anyway between the Banshee crowd and young Mescal.

Although for Paul to be nominated in his first leading gig in a film is some achievement. Realistically he was never going to win it.

The fact you were nominated at all, I wonder would it add a few 000s to your film fees

Reveling in defeat is extremely Irish.

These things are all about winning. He disgraced the country and should stick to the sausages, the ham.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s a surprise it didn’t win any.
The only realistic chance it had in recent weeks it seemed was in the screenplay section. I think the categories it lost out in were pretty much all to EEAAO. I would think the one place where Banshees would have legitimately been better was Condon probably gave a stronger performance than Curtis, but a Hollywood veteran without an award was always going to win that. Likewise, the redemption story of Ke Guy Quan (and he gave a very good performance) edged him out over Keoghan.

Banshee’s biggest shot was Screenplay, but very early on it was apparent what way the wind was blowing. EEAAO had all the momentum, Banshees had it lost by the Oscars were over. Also, the Globes are no indication anymore, nor are the BAFTA’s. Once the SAGs and other Guild awards had gone to EEAO and AQOTWF it was pretty much a case of hoping the Irishness was going to get them over the line in a category or two. The Short Film one was a lovely moment though.

Truth be told, Bassett should have won this, but yeah, they werent going to turn down a chance to honour the daughter of Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh.

They went in like Cork going up to Croker in 2021. It was all over after fifteen minutes there as well.

8 Likes

The special effect fella kept his head down and got the job done in fairness.

2 Oscars for a fella from Tallaght who studied in Ballyfermot Art College. Thats Hollywood.

The American dream right there.

1 Like