OTB (Off The Ball)

[quote name=‘Kinvara’s Passion’ timestamp=‘1346360167’ post=‘664135’]

Excellent interview. McDonald came across very well for a guy that was ‘meant to be’ so media shy.

What a footballer he was, in the top 3 I have ever seen anyway. Sounds like he really regrets the few years he walked away from Mayo football.
[/quote]You’re getting a bit carried away. He wasn’t that good.

Hate to agree with the Galway girl but
Name three better footballer in the last 20 years?? he is up with Maurice in my view

Duffer also said he wants to raise his children in Ireland and intends to play a couple of years in the Airtricity League before he finishes up. A thoroughly alright sort.

Peter Canavan, Tomas O Se, Mickey Linden. Just for starters.

All fine footballers but not in mcdonalds class IMO

+1

Very good interview with McDonald alright. Only heard 15 minutes of Duffer’s one and it wasn’t that great.

SoCiaran McDonald was a better footballer than Peter Canavan?

I think so anyway

[quote=“turfcutter, post: 151059”]

I think so anyway[/quote]

Footballers:

Maurice Fitz
Padraig Joyce
Ciaran McDonald

I loved watching McDonald play. An absolute genius. His distribution was nothing short of sensational at times.

He is obviously remembered most for his winning point against Dublin in 2006 but he got a point in the first half that day that is still the best point I have seen in Gaelic Football. Sideline ball under the Cusack Stand. Straight over with the outside of his left boot. Not too dissimilar to Maurice Fitz’s effort in Thurles.

McDonald nearly caused me to get the shit kicked out of me that day. Leitrim were playing Louth in the curtain raiser to the semi final and as we had a few relations up from Leitrim, I gave them the stand tickets and had to do with a Hill 16 one.

Anyway, McDonald kicked the winner and instinctively I said “What a fucking score” out loud and applauded. Queue a Dublin knacker in his early 40s taking offence and saying he noticed I hadnt applauded any Dublin scores and wanted to know what I was doing on the Hill

Anyway I survived and left Croke Park delighted that Connacht football would be represented on finals day. I pray to God for a repeat on Sunday

Just heard the end of the programme and the lads congratulating themselves over the ‘Duffer’ interview. What a great fella he is and how modest he was when Ken was teliing him just how brilliant he was. Bit of an arse lick was it?

Maurice
Cooper
Moynahan

That’s just Kerry players

it was an over- the equivalent of a drop goal inn rugby
calm down

The 3 O’Se’s and Declan O’Sullivan I’d rank higher too. Was at the final that year and he hardly got a kick. Think O’Mahony might have got 2 or 3 points from play off him.

McDonald was a very talented player but very much over indulged by successive Mayo managers.

lies! :shakefist:

you were delighted that Roscommon beat Meath that day… :ph34r:

[quote=“KIB man, post: 151065”]

The 3 O’Se’s and Declan O’Sullivan I’d rank higher too. Was at the final that year and he hardly got a kick. Think O’Mahony might have got 2 or 3 points from play off him.

McDonald was a very talented player but very much over indulged by successive Mayo managers.[/quote]
He stood up to the australians for a while until they pucked the head off him.

:lol: :lol:

PR exposed again

I’d have Trevor Giles instead of Joyce with the other two as being the best.

larry murphy the serial murder was seen as a regular lad in gga circles