OTB (Off The Ball)

Do they though? Tipp have a great rivalry with Cork and Kilkenny but I would say there’s a lot of mutual respect there. Most of the hatred seems to come from Limerick people but I would say that’s more to do with the fact that Limerick wouldn’t be on Tipp’s radar at all really and that really grates with Limerick people as they are completely self-obsessed. There’s some dog rough towns in both counties so maybe there’s some sort of rivalry there on that front. The two roughest towns in Ireland I’ve ever been to are Tipp Town and Newcastle West, 2 absolute fucking shitholes that should be nuked out of existence.

Sounds a bit like what happens whenever England play an Ashes test match at the WACA

Most Cork people I know despise Tipp – Not as much as Kerry or Kilkenny but there’s little love there… I was corrected on this very issue recently myself.

One way rivalries like that are gas

Galway v Dublin is another one

I love auld anecdotes like this. I’ve been up north with family, maybe wearing a Wexford top or whatever, and been the recipient of mighty sound gestures. A tendency to make sure you build in time for delays on long journeys usually results in an early arrival. And so locals often invited / ordered us into the clubhouse for tae and sandwiches and so on.

Was in Casement for a league hurling game when Antrim bate us during Colm Bonnar era and Gerry Adams popped over for a chat. Last time in Belfast for a Wexford football game and man who turned out to be Frank Fitzsimons Snr did likewise. His son Frank Jnr and Gearóid Adams were joint managers at the time. Telling us about Antrim team he played on in 1970s which got to Ulster Final (didn’t build on it due to many of them ending up in Long Kesh) and giving us potted history of the football scene in Belfast. A really sound, interesting and friendly guy.

Have experienced genuine friendliness, affection and pure love in the likes of Derry, Armagh, Fermanagh too.

2 Likes

True, I didn’t think we’d see scenes like we did in Parnell Park again but fuck me didn’t we see it a few weeks later in Portlaoise.

4 Likes

It should be a badge of honour to be hated by Cork people but I think you’re exaggerating there, bro.

1 Like

The vast majority of fans that support your beloved Munster are Cork people …

1 Like

Had a similar experience in Crossmaglen at Wexford league game in 2004 or 2005. Unbelievably sound people . In contrast, Roscommon are the most ignorant fans I’ve had the misfortune to encounter. Pure thick

3 Likes

When Munster used to win things ye couldn’t get enough of them in Grimerick.

I was in Tuam that day kid … got the fuck out of Limerick as the bus loads of fans from Tipp and Kerry and Cork descended on the streets… I ended up locked at the afters of a traveller christening in the sportsman or huntsman or some pub like that. A great day.

How so?

Nothing but Limerick people in that video, kid. They deserted the Munster team in their droves then as soon as they stopped winning. The same shitheads were in Croke Park last August. Worst shower of bandwagoners in the country are from Limerick.

4 Likes

They heralded in a more progressive era within the GAA and player welfare — Cork have been the major beneficiaries of this … The Kilkenny boys left them down badly… They agreed to the original player protest then reneged on it – they pissed on the powder.

1 Like

Waffle… we stitched those Cork cunts up like kippers

3 Likes

I was in that pub before - Sportsmans Bar. It’s near the stadium. Strange place.

Had to wait in Tuam for a couple of hours on a Sunday a good few years back. Went in there as it was the only place open around 1 o Clock.

I ordered a drink and there were 3 travellers in there already sipping away hard. About half a hour later a wife of one of the travellers comes in with a couple of bags and proceeds to dispense a 3 course meal with plates and cutlery to the boys. Soup and bread to start. Chicken, squds and veg for mains and tart and custard for dessert. She then tidied up everything and left. In total it took about 20 minutes. The lads hardly uttered a word to her and continued drinking at pace while eating.

15 Likes

We’re great winners mate. We spend 12 months on the piss

1 Like

That’s a very mild mannered retort

Typcial of the sound and gentlemanly nature of Tipp people.

2 Likes

you’ve clearly never met too many outside your cousins who have to be nice to you.