OTB (Off The Ball)

We border every hurling county with exception of Wexford. My dad was going to matches in 50s/60s and said that as a bunch of supporters, we got somewhat arrogant at the time. That’s long gone. We love hurling. We love drinking. And we love riding (not our cousins)

2 Likes

A cricket bat in Tipp town. You expect us to believe that?

2 Likes

A Kilkenny fella left it behind him.

1 Like

Or a chap from Adare

Sounds like they knew you.

It is a garrison town .

My best GAA trips have all been to up North. The natives up there face daily pitfalls in keeping their culture alive, something those of us down south don’t think twice about.

Always a genuine warmth and friendliness when I’ve been up there to see the footballers play in Omagh or the hurlers up in The Glens. I think they appreciate people travelling up.

I was up in Belfast for a match a while back and ended up on the piss in the Casement Park social club. We were going to check into some B&B or hotel or something when a couple of the locals said “don’t bother, we’ve room in our place going.” Now, looking back we could have easily been buried in their back garden but they couldn’t have been sounder, full fry the next morning throw in before we headed off. Wouldn’t accept a penny either. A couple of them came down for a Munster Hurling championship match the following year as a returned favour.

In all honesty there’s fuck all rivalry at intercounty level anymore. Of course when you see a lad in a Clare or Cork shirt you privately think “cunt” but you’d want to be a bit of a gowl to get into a row with anyone in a pub pre match or in the ground.

Winding a few gimps up on here is the height of intercounty rivalry for most these days, myself included.

4 Likes

+1

fuck tipp.

Fermanagh is a terrible place as covered in my sunday drives thread
edit : Enniskillen actually - a horrible dark protestant underbelly exists there and for catholics in gah jersies with a big inferiority complex it is not a place to venture into

2 Likes

I know an actuary from Derrygonnelly and she told us where to go, and not to go.

Tipp is a grand place with the exception of Clonmel, Cashel, Carrick On Suir, Roscrea, Tipp Town, Thurles and Templemore.

8 Likes

Fermanagh is fantastic and Fermanagh people are the nicest in Ireland.

1 Like

The scummy Tipperary cricket crowd.

So Nenagh is ok?

Nenagh is a grand spot. Good town for porter

1 Like

I’ve fond memories of Nenagh from time spent competing in Indoor Athletics. We used to get upto some awful divilment with some frisky girls from all around Leinster.

image-5-for-aston-villa-v-juventus-gallery-283090727

7 Likes

:grin:

There’s still a good bit of poison in Mayo/Galway. The beatings Mayo doled out in 2013 and 2014 did a lot to stir up the badness, so the delight and gloating of Galway in winning between 2016-18 really put the seethe in Mayo.

The most bite I’ve ever seen leaving a match was Kildare v Dublin 2011, when Brogan was gifted the handy free to win it after Kildare had come back to level. There were multiple incidents of handbags coming out of the Cusack, I’ve never seen anything like it at a GAA match.

You must have been a hard man to beat in a dive for the finishing line.

14 Likes