OTB (Off The Ball)

Unless they get good replacements then I doubt the show will go on in it’s present format at least. 3 hours of Ger Gilroy every evening would be a bit much for anyone.

I don’t mind Gilroy but most of his questions come with a preamble.

Seems to be a lot of disgruntled OTB fans over on thescore.ie not too happy with Newstalk.

They do know that the boys resigned like? o_O

it’ll be strange without them alright. the usuals on the show, US Murph, Johnny Giles etc, it wont be the same with others doing the interviews longterm. I like listening to it for the banter between them, they all maybe annoying in some ways, but I like their style and like the show.

As others have said, it’s not easy filling 3 hours every night with decent spots content. I’m not sure there’s a gap in the market at all judging by how RTÉ approached it for years. They just haven’t been able to come close to making a sports show as relevant as OTB and that’s largely down to the presenters and the editors/producers or whoever chooses the content.

The OTB guys can definitely be smug bastards, and Early in particular had a tendency towards the extremely annoying, but they put out lots of decent content and made shows that RTÉ would never have made.

I can’t stand Gilroy - I think he’s every bit as smug and condescending as Early and the lead presenter can’t get away with that.

If it did end over the request to start an hour earlier (and it seems unlikely to me) that seems a ridiculous reason to walk out of your job.

I don’t mind Gilroy either but he can’t do the 3 hours on his own so they will have to get others in to get the “banter” going and Gilroy ain’t great at “banter”.

Step up. …

Gola, Fran and il Bomber?

Neither are McIntyre, Molloy or Murtagh. And after that they’re running seriously short on staff. Does Oisin Langan still work for them? :eek:

[quote=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 744097, member: 686”]Step up. …

Gola, Fran and il Bomber?[/quote]
The Pikefran and GMac show

I wonder which side Mick McCarthy (not that one) has come down on

Are you okay, sidney? You seem a bit upset about the news. Talk to us and tell us how you feel.

They could bring back Claire Byrne and have her hop the ball with Graham Hunter talking utter bollix about La Liga-it might just work.

Does anybody know how much someone like Graham Hunter would get paid for doing a 5-10 minute segment on Off The Ball?

I’m about to commit suicide, mate.

Don’t do it.

A fiver? It would be too much whatever it is anyway.

I’m upset too. Many’s the time I timed an errand around catching a snippet of this show.

5k yearly contract?

:clap:

I am absolutely devastated. Cannot stand Gilroy.