OTB (Off The Ball)

Ryle Nugent and Brian Kerr doing the Sunday papers review. Novel pairing.

Think I heard Ryle on it before and he came across as an alright sort

Never really understood the criticism he got in his RTE role

1 Like

The paper review is very good. Molloy generally keeps his mouth shut during it too. Brian Kerr and Ryle Nugent were on it. I always enjoy alright sort Gary o toole on it too. This week Kerr was saying Jim Gavin got in contract with him about hiring a goalkeeper coach. I was wondering would the focus on kick out strategies be the same in soccer as Gaelic football? I remember pep being fairly innovative from kick outs in soccer but I can’t remember many more ideas.

1 Like

[quote=“the_man_himself, post:3246, topic:5590, full:true”

Never really understood the criticism he got in his RTE role
[/quote]

Are you referring specifically to this site

You don’t belong here

What did he Do that was so wrong?

The general GGA public

He ceded responsibility for showing live GGA outside a 3-month summer window to a niche gaeilge channel that everybody despises, while showing an avalanche of diddy rubby competitions live.

2 Likes

Noted anti-irish Fenian view

2 Likes

He stopped answering @RaymondCrotty’s emails

1 Like

Claims Celtic are Irish while decrying an Irish speaking channel based in Co Galway :thinking:

5 Likes

I’m ready to have the annual argument about these wasters showing a live and deferred game instead of two live games. Replete with brutal camera work and production, rain all over the camera lens, some muldoon like Briain Tyers prattling on in gaeilge and Gizzy Lyng’s wild beard frightening viewers. It’s time to ban this Irish lanaguage channel from showing the national games until they prove themselves capable of offering a streamlined and professional presentation.

3 Likes

Gizzy is a Wexford problem, get him a wash and a cut and he’d be half-presentable at least

Did the amount of rugby shown on RTE decline during Ryle’s watch ??

I’d say the amount of every sport shown on RTÉ declined during ryles tenure. Except for rugby

I wouldn’t say any less GAA was shown on RTE while Ryle was there. He only became Head of Sport in 2010. They lost a lot of rugby in his time as well while they kept the Champions League Wednesdays and the internationals so not sure they lost soccer either

1 Like
1 Like

When did RTÉ lose Heineken Cup games?
I remember live Munster games used to be a big thing on Saturday afternoons with Hooky and Pope as pundits and Jim Sheridan as match commentator etc. I can’t remember many live Leinster games at all though.
They say rugby has never been bigger in Ireland compared to now. I’m not so sure. It seemed alot bigger back then (early 00’s??) with floating Irish sports fans when RTÉ had 6 nations and Heino Cup rights free to air.

3 Likes

Jim Sherwin?

Think he took RTE to court when they dropped him as lead rubby commentator.

Ah yes. That is him. The other lad is a move director isn’t he.

Did I hear Sherwin on that Walking/Hiking show RTÉ had recently? He must be well auld these days. He seemed old 20 years ago.