OTB (Off The Ball)

Are the horse racing fellas narky 5 footers as well?

It’s hard to tell the difference

1 Like

Wollie sounds like he’s been eating cowshit most of his life. And like hes trying to be a smart cunt all the time. Till shit goes wrong and he shits himself and blames it all on his engineer.

Duggan is 5ft wide if that counts?

The hurling accent pronounces us with a z

1 Like

I was going to say, they’re either small fellas or boozehounds.

It looks like we have different accents then for sport.

Hurling - KK / Tipp / Nth Munster accent (“look it” “jano”)
Football - midlands (why not Kerry or Ulster I dunno)
Soccer - Dub especially of LoI
Golf/Rugby - D4 style but could be from anywhere in Ireland usually.
Cricket - ?
Boxing - Dub
Tennis - D4
Any Olympic sport - Cork

Shane Hannon would make a great TFK poster.

Eoin McDevitt and the Second Captains lads were having this debate when they were on Newstalk over 10 years ago.

I think Shane Hannon is right here.

If the ball bounces and then ‘sits up’ that’s a strike for me rather than a half volley.

Half volley is when the strike and bounce happen almost in parallel.

1 Like

half volley is like a drop kick.

9 Likes

Correct.

Gerrard against Olympiacos in 2004 would be a classic of this genre.

1 Like

i haven’t watched the clip is he getting lambasted for this view?

Yes.

John Giles was on last night with Nathan Murphy; he is great to talk about how things were back in the day but by God when he starts talking about a match that happened in the last week and starts misremembering who was playing or forgetting player names he does be all over the shop.

You’ve got to be careful with some of these old lads like Giles.

They might be a bit deaf and bit muddily but they were top men in their time and still deserve the utmost respect and affection.

Did he watch Real Madrid v Liverpool? I’ve never seen a pundit to love a player as much as Giles loves Luka Modric.

1 Like

I can’t listen to him anymore,he’s a legend is old Giles but hes done at this stage.Its even recorded during the day so they can edit it.That Aisling was is some dose,her match reports are just cliché after cliché.Tjey cut her off from Rome last week during the rugby at one stage cause she was like a 5 year old reading from a script.

Giles is 82, time to let the man retire.

He probably needs the money. Doubt if he has a pension other than state pensions.

1 Like

Anyone hear the Stephen Kenny interview last night on OTB? Lord above but he is horrendous to listen to in every way. Nails on a blackboard job.

Awkward silences, half finished sentences, exaggerated pauses, just stilted and desperately uncomfortable listening.

And then the actual content itself. The usual stuff - bizarre stats thrown in (‘we’ve scored 33 goals in 22 games, scoring is not a problem for us.’), exaggerating the level of other teams (‘Georgia are a really good side, underrated’), listing all the players he has given a debut to, crowing about big crowds going to games, as if it’s down to him and the glorious, free flowing, ultimately unsuccessful philosophy he espouses.

He gave me serious ire.