OTB (Off The Ball)

Get the help you need mate, hatred is the primary source of your issues.

1 Like

You need the help a hell of a lot more than I do.

@Gman will be fuming with you.

Fuck off you horrible and pathetic little man.

You need to check your anger issues.

3 Likes

Not at all. Labane genuinely sees no problem with using a tragic victim as a pawn to mobilise targeted hatred against immigrants.

People of these views don’t care about real victims, they lust for more of them.

I’ll fucking fume you, prick.

2 Likes

I see the Indo are now demanding answers.

Time has come for Kellie Harrington to get off the fence and tell us what she truly thinks about immigration

Ellen Coyne

In an apparent attempt to clarify her views on immigration, Kellie Harrington has released a vague statement that merely prompted further questions. Photo: Inpho/Dan Sheridan

Boxer Kellie Harrington won gold at the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo. Photo: Brendan Moran/Sportsfile

In an apparent attempt to clarify her views on immigration, Kellie Harrington has released a vague statement that merely prompted further questions. Photo: Inpho/Dan Sheridan

March 28 2023 03:02 PM

“You know me by now,” said Kellie Harrington, feeling the heat.

“And you know you’re going to get the truth off me.”

Well, what is the truth?

Harrington’s defensive and disastrous replies to questions about an anti-immigrant tweet she posted last year have gone viral.

Speaking on Newstalk’s Off The Ball AM, she declined to clarify if she still holds the view that immigration is linked to crime.

Since giving the interview, she has put out a statement with the dispassionate tone of a calculated press release. It is generous with word count but economic with meaning.

Read More

It gave an impression that she had abandoned the anti-immigration view in question. But it did this without the conviction of clear language.

If Harrington and her representatives want us to believe she only held anti-immigrant views for one fleeting, misguided moment in the days of last October, they are misleading us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Pause

Unmute

poster

Kellie Harrington confronted on deleted tweet with Off The Ball

But in the absence of a clear answer from the woman herself, this is the best we had to go by

A quick scan of her social media accounts confirms that as recently as January, she liked social media posts which were critical of immigration.

She liked a post from senator Sharon Keogan opposing the use of community halls or sports facilities as shelter for asylum-seekers.

She backed a post calling for an “open and honest” conversation about immigration.

Harrington also appeared to be sympathetic to demonstrations against accommodation for asylum-seekers in Lismore, Co Waterford and Ballymun in north Dublin.

That we found ourselves examining Twitter likes, in an attempt to figure out her views, was sub-optimal.

But in the absence of a clear answer from the woman herself, this is the best we had to go by.

If Harrington does have concerns about immigration, why can’t she just say it? If she believes the country needs to have a deeper conversation about immigration, why not start it?

Maybe she doesn’t want to. Under the most polite and gentle questioning by Off The Ball’AM’s Shane Hannon, she was squirming.

She’s not a politician, she argued. When Hannon suggested that immigration could be enriching, Harrington was exasperated.

“But that’s what you would argue. That’s what you would argue, and that’s fine,” she said. “I’m not having that argument.”

Sometimes, sports stars are almost punished for their brilliance. They have legendary status and all its attendant responsibilities foisted upon them regardless of whether they desire it or not.

Boxer Kellie Harrington won gold at the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo. Photo: Brendan Moran/Sportsfile

So you could almost sympathise with Harrington, had she not been the one to start this.

She is long enough in the tooth to know that her words, sentiments and views carry more weight than that of the average person.

By posting that tweet she gave journalists a reason to ask questions about her views on the issue.

In recent social media posts where she appeared to disagree with raising children without a specified gender, Harrington commented: “The world has gone mad. Absolutely mad. I’m afraid to open my mouth these days.”

It’s possible that she evades certain debates because she’s afraid of being cancelled.

But even in this climate, where online mobs are apparently bloodthirsty for public downfalls, she enjoyed a distinct lack of scrutiny in the months following her posting of the tweet.

One person’s inner-city hero might be someone who is liberal and supports immigration

It’s quite likely that, had it not been for Off The Ball AM, she never would have had to account for it at all.

Perhaps another issue here is the way people patronise Dublin’s north inner city. It is often simplified as one homogenous mass of people who share exactly the same life experiences, values and political opinions.

One person’s inner-city hero might be someone who is liberal and supports immigration.

But another person’s inner-city hero might be someone who sympathises with demonstrators at anti-immigration protests.

The criticism that has followed Harrington’s radio interview is entirely justified. But people who share similar views to her might see it differently.

They may view the criticism as a harsh reaction from a section of society determined to dismiss what are so often labelled as “genuine concerns” of ordinary people.

There will also be another group of people who will choose to interpret Harrington’s statement as an apology. This group will probably continue to project their own views and values onto the boxer, because they like her.

She’ll likely still enjoy the support of people on both sides of the immigration debate.

It’s not fair to expect Kellie Harrington to be all things to all people. But she shouldn’t remain on the fence on this issue.

Harrington promised that we always get the truth from her. In that case, let’s have it.

She should tell us what she really thinks.

Lads. On both sides of the debate. A few of ye need to step away from the keyboards for a few minutes. It’s gotten nasty.

3 Likes

Flashing Lights Police GIF by Alex Sheyn

1 Like

Feeling guilty cumbag?

What are Jordan Peterson’s tweeting habits got to do with this?

We’re close to another meltdown resulting in calls or emails to employers.

2 Likes

The internet police are already on the scene

Some lads think it’s fine to target immigrants of particular backgrounds for generalised vilification based on the actions of isolated individuals.

I’d call that nasty alright. Very nasty.

It’s literally what the Nazis did.

This is the kernel of the debate. Is it legitimate to use the same propaganda techniques and concentrated hatred the Nazis did?

Some lads think it is. They also think that if they’re called out on that, they’re being bullied. That was another propaganda technique the Nazis used. Perpetrator cosplaying as victim.

Sure he shares a bed with a foreigner. His wife is Spanish is she not?

What did Eoin Murphy share on Twitter? Hadn’t heard anything about it seen it referenced here a couple of times. Niche internet information that you wouldn’t get on any other forum.

cheasty did a full profile on his twitter timeline. not sure on what thread.

1 Like

I’d agree that the reaction is way over the top here but regarding her “young age”, she’s 33. She’s not exactly a teenager. Naive maybe in terms of media spotlight.

This is damning for the ‘just asking questions and refuse to answer any’ crew