OTB (Off The Ball)

There is too much sport covered everywhere these days, every Tom, Dick and Harry has a podcast.

Twitter, YouTube, radio, newspapers, tv. It’s saturation levels now. And a lot of the time the analysis is something lads propping up the bar at the local would come up with.

Personally I’d watch live sport but the majority of the time not watch any pre or post match stuff. I turn off Giles any time he appears on OTB now, have heard his shtick a million times before. Haven’t watched a full The Sunday Game in years either.

10 Likes

Tfk is much better on a Sunday evening than watching the the Sunday game.

The Sunday game used to be much watch but like you I haven’t watched in years.

TSG still has can be good when they get their best pundits. The problem is the token woman who hasn’t a clue, the bland shits like Paul “Rockshore” Flynn and last but not least, Shane Dowling.

6 Likes

Bar live sport tv is dying anyway. The highlights are readily available for most sports immediately anyway.

Would love if the gaa made games available on YouTube.

It would add to the online analysis hugely imo.

1 Like

Yeah thats it for me too. I used watch Match of the Day, Sunday game and other highlights programmes religiously before but plenty of good analysts are doing it in real time now. You see good stuff from Ray Boyne, Gaelic Corner and a load of other random sources. Often the level of Analysis is far superior. One guy last year went into fairly intricate detail analysing Shane Walshs movement for one of his points in AI final against Kerry. It was something like you’d see from analysts at the combine.

3 Likes

Soccer Saturday is anther thing destroyed by token female analysts

1 Like

There’s a good few of the Tg4 underage games on YouTube and there’s loads of analysis on it also.

In the medium to long term, we are probably heading for a GAATV which will prob cost €200-€250 for club and county action in a similar manner to racing tv.

Soccer AM was ruined by the lack of women.

3 Likes

The cult of personality kept a lot of these things relevant. Everything is so beige now.

1 Like

So what will Newstalk do to fill the time? They are on an awful lot.

I’ll miss the football pod which is imo the best GAA pod at the moment. And I was just starting to warm to Skehill on the hurling.

I’d say this is bad news for other pods too. People will have to choose one or two subs to have.

There is absolutely no way I’m paying for any pod though.

2 Likes

They will still produce the content, some of it will be behind the paywall.

You can still listen live.

In an era where you had everyone from Stelling, Giles, Dunphy, Souness, Phil Thompson, Charlie Nichols, Joe Brolly, Ger Loughnane, Cyril Farrell you now have likes of Matt Dawson, Clinton Morrisson, Richie Sadlier Stephen Kelly, Paul Flynn, Sean Cavanagh and Shane Dowling. Is it any wonder…

And somehow Ger Canning and Marty Morrissey are still going strong.

4 Likes

On a slightly related note i rang up Sky last week threatening to cancel and got 24 euro a month knocked off my bill for the next 6 months.

‘His 47th ever podcast in championship hurling.’

10 Likes

Hurling wise, I wouldn’t agree with all of his views, but Donal og has strong opinions. Dalo is your modern day Cyril which is needed. Sheedy is excellent. Tj Ryan also. Joe canning has potential. It’s ruined by Ursula & Dowling.

From what I remember, Tomas Mul was a fierce sound man but never added anything extra to what the father would say boiling the kettle on the add break. Pete Finnerty was a grump. Loughnane was box office.

1 Like

All these podcasts and live streams etc are all good for single blokes with lots of spare time on their hands.

2 Likes

The live feed of the morning show on YT and the evening show on the radio aren’t effected, its the 20 or 30 mins YT videos and podcasts that are effected.

The less than 24 hours notice is unbelievably tone deaf whatever about the rest.

1 Like

Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

Is there any equivalent of the copying and pasting of newspaper articles behind paywalls when it comes to podcasts?
I definitely think a tenner is pitched too high. Wooly and second captains are a 5er I think and they are in direct competition with them. I would listen to the odd second captains free one and the odd otb football and hurling ones.
If they are all pay I might consider paying for one. Which Irish sports one are free now?

As someone in this bracket I totally agree :sweat_smile: work from home about 90% these days so handy for that and handy for a walk, run or cycle.