OTB (Off The Ball)

Or if you drive a lot

Spot on.

I have worked through a whole range of history podcasts with my weekly driving for the past 6 years.

Have tried many sports pods but only taken to the OTB Gaa unfortunately.

1 Like

Big problem for OTB is charging €10 a month when there not the best offering in any specific field,i follow most sports but my favourite would be GAA, Our game and Wooly Parkinson’s show would be the best here, for soccer I’d imagine its second captains, probably the same for rugby another pod out there probably best in class.

Presume the pricing brought in now before the EPL and rubby WC. The main market

2 Likes

And I don’t mean that in a bad way! Either your scenario, or someone who is on the road a lot, or who can work away easily with stuff on in the background.

What’s the ownership structure of Offtheball? Is it under Newstalk or does Gilroy own some of it?

Joe molloy looked like he was doing a hostage video last night

12 Likes

Both I think, Gilroy not the only one involved far as I remember.

Bauer Media Audio. Owners of Newstalk/Spin etc

Gilroy owns 26% of Balls Media that does Balls.ie The fuckers got €155k in government grants in 2020/2021 - jesus christ…

1 Like

I’ve never listened to a podcast and I don’t intend to change that any time soon.

1 Like

Seems a bit intransigent but thats your prerogative. I’d have thought there were some serious music podcasta out there for you to get your teeth* into.

2 Likes

I like radio.

My teeth are my own by the way.

1 Like

jesus, his gripes about Government funding & he didnt acknowledge that

Same as that.

1 Like

I predict this will be a failure and I always get my predictions correct

1 Like

What grants would the be entitled to as a matter of interest?

Podcasts are just recorded radio.

I imagined they’d be something like that ok.

1 Like

Don’t know. It was 2020 and 2021 so I presume covid? Maybe the government thought that youngsters could keep busy in lockdown if they were engrossed in balls.ie.

They also own theslicedpan.com and collegetimes.com

1 Like

He also mentioned the sponsored events they get. This is a fine line for them as by going paywall on the INTERNET they are basically turning their backs on the younger demographic who don’t bother with the radio anymore and the ones who drive sponsor interest.

Second Captains sell out live shows but don’t get the same sponsor interest from what I can see. The fact that they were relatively early adopters of the direct to consumer model helped them.

Off the Ball had done a good job in the YouTube space so interesting that they are throwing that away.