OTB (Off The Ball)

Probably would have led to injuries too.

Being suggested in some link on broadsheet that the resignation will turn into a sabbatical and the lads will shuffle back to newstalk in time.

I don’t think I could listen to them if that was the case as their credibility would be gone. Behind all the “craic” and boys will be boys jocularity I just would not be able to have any respect for them for a) taking such a dumb line asking to start their programme during primetime and b) going back with their tails between their legs after their strop didn’t work.

Dickheads.

[quote=“Fagan ODowd, post: 750011, member: 706”]Ah jaysus it was shit. If we had have had Donal O’Grady after 2005 we could have taken Kilkenny.

And my favourite. If there was one word that summed up that Cork team it is Geese. Geese.[/quote]

i listened to that interview with o’hailpin last night driving back from work and i thought it was decent enough, it got a bit cringeworthy tho when he started talking about “team cork”:rolleyes:
he does seem a decent enough sort tho and very genuine, even if very difficult to listen to , it really sounds as if english is not his first language, which in theory it isnt as irish is the langauge he speaks, but you would wonder in this day and age unless he is talking to himself or family nonstop who he actually speaks irish with.
As Kp said earlier there is no denying his love for the game, i think he did portray pretty well also as he tried to describe the pressure of playing hurling for Cork and it been like a job 24/7.
I gave up GAA when i was 17 to concentrate on soccer but when i was playing intermediate we had a fella who was on the cork team at the time as well and you would never see him at the club for training or league games, i think in Cork the pressure on the hurling team is incedible, to have now gone 8 years w/o an all ireland is truly bizarre down there, while other counties like Limerick, Clare, Tipp, etc are really only in it for the taking part and any championship win is considered a bonus ( think the ROI at a major football tournament) .

I thiink it was Gilroy doing the interview who commeneted briefly that Cork may have won more if the players hadnt been concentrating on strikes and other issues , but SeanOg seemed to brush it away and Gilroy didnt press the subject, but you could sense that both parties knew it was true

[quote=“Horsebox, post: 750393, member: 1537”]I don’t think I could listen to them if that was the case as their credibility would be gone. Behind all the “craic” and boys will be boys jocularity I just would not be able to have any respect for them for a) taking such a dumb line asking to start their programme during primetime and b) going back with their tails between their legs after their strop didn’t work.

Dickheads.[/quote]

Whose to say it didn’t work? Sure they might go back to the same time slot but it’s only a matter of time before Hook hangs up his microphone and NewsTalk will need something to fill the void.

If this is to happen I’d say there will be some undertaking that they will move to the 6pm slot in the future.

[quote=“croppy_boy, post: 750398, member: 306”]Whose to say it didn’t work? Sure they might go back to the same time slot but it’s only a matter of time before Hook hangs up his microphone and NewsTalk will need something to fill the void.

If this is to happen I’d say there will be some undertaking that they will move to the 6pm slot in the future.[/quote]
Seems like the obvious solution alright.

Highlights of Daithi Regans hurling analysis tonight…

Galway are flaky and have serious problems at 3 and 6 and wont win anything until they address those. (I disagree with him about our No 3)

Tipperary are ahead of Galway in the pecking order.

Clare will win an the AI within the next 3 years.

[quote=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 750581, member: 686”]Highlights of Daithi Regans hurling analysis tonight…

Galway are flaky and have serious problems at 3 and 6 and wont win anything until they address those. (I disagree with him about our No 3)

Clare will win an the AI within the next 3 years.[/quote]
Brilliant stuff from Daithi. Compelling, and rich.

[quote=“mickee321, post: 750397, member: 367”]i listened to that interview with o’hailpin last night driving back from work and i thought it was decent enough, it got a bit cringeworthy tho when he started talking about “team cork”:rolleyes:
he does seem a decent enough sort tho and very genuine, even if very difficult to listen to , it really sounds as if english is not his first language, which in theory it isnt as irish is the langauge he speaks, but you would wonder in this day and age unless he is talking to himself or family nonstop who he actually speaks irish with.
As Kp said earlier there is no denying his love for the game, i think he did portray pretty well also as he tried to describe the pressure of playing hurling for Cork and it been like a job 24/7.
I gave up GAA when i was 17 to concentrate on soccer but when i was playing intermediate we had a fella who was on the cork team at the time as well and you would never see him at the club for training or league games, i think in Cork the pressure on the hurling team is incedible, to have now gone 8 years w/o an all ireland is truly bizarre down there, while other counties like Limerick, Clare, Tipp, etc are really only in it for the taking part and any championship win is considered a bonus ( think the ROI at a major football tournament) .

I thiink it was Gilroy doing the interview who commeneted briefly that Cork may have won more if the players hadnt been concentrating on strikes and other issues , but SeanOg seemed to brush it away and Gilroy didnt press the subject, but you could sense that both parties knew it was true[/quote]
They referred to Cork/Kilkenny as the ‘great rivalry that never was’ tonight which is kinda half true. I remember thinking walking out in 05 that that Cork side would dominate the game for years to come and things would be shit(I got the Cork bit wrong but was right otherwise) They’d given Kilkenny a right pasting the year before and put our lads firmly back in our box that year, were in their prime, had great players and beginning to garner an aura of invincibility about them. They allowed their egos take over though and that was the end of them.

They contested 4 finals in a row and lost in 2007 after an epic series against Waterford. They had the balls to stand up to Frankie who has subsequently taken cork hurling to it’s knees. No matter what happened fior gaels will always dislike that squad for challenging the status quo.

[quote=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 750581, member: 686”]Highlights of Daithi Regans hurling analysis tonight…

Lads like regan are an irritant in that they happened on a great set of players and meandered to an all Ireland medal giving him a platform to vent his opinions into microphones left right and centre.

Correct. Cant take him too serious.

Daithis analysis of the hurling was hapless. If Cork were such a great team how come they were regularly bested by a Waterford team, that was well beaten by Limerick (2007), hosed by Kilkenny (2008) and thrashed by Clare (2005).

His soccer analysis, was something else altogether.

My house mate is getting banged all over the place tonight… I’ve never heard her gasp so much in delight.

Don’t know how you managed to type that out, error free, with one hand

@CM @Scruncie LOL

Rubbish about Hynes. JJ and Paul curran are the best two full backs in the country by a margin, Hynes is as good as any of the rest. 6 is a work in progress but he’s only a young lad, showed plenty of fight when he came on in the replayed all Ireland.

I’d put tipp ahead of us too. Better hurlers 1-15.

Clare. No chance.

Regans a bluffer.

That was a gas story mcateer told about the blonde with the viking helmet

Go on

This is so true. I admire them alot for standing up to Frank but the big thing was they really din’t gain any true lasting support from the clubs. The lasting legacy should have been a push throughout Cork to virtually replace every single CB delegate and make sure he/she has to be voted in year on year and is held accountable for not bring issues back to the clubs. The delegates now in place are more or less the same boys as ever and as you can by recent votes against football rules “in case they become hurling rules” shows what way Cork have gone - backwards. Frank couldn’t give a fuck about the future or developing Cork teams and players, he had the glory years and now he is getting his stadium. The teams fight against all this was gallant but they did not follow thru and it cost them All Ireland’s. They now see that and are bitter and in hindsight very disappointed in what happened. I expect Donal Og to admit as much sometime over te next 2 years.

Cork administration is full of greedy self centered wanker’s who don’t give a fuck about anyone only their only little circle. If Cork GAA operated to it’s true potential it would be Cork they’d be talking about splitting in two.