OTB (Off The Ball)

He was spot on

That’ll be a first. Generally, Wooly hums and haws, talks mostly shit, tries a gag( which invariably fails) and inserts ‘I dunno’ into every sentence. After this Lyng sounds like a genius just by being coherent and occasionally incisive.

I was wondering was he always like that. Sounds like a lad whose brain can’t sent messages to his voice box

I dunno

Look it

Wasnt hard on this occasion, Lyng trying to claim about broadening the game of hurling abroad and Woolie shut it down simply by saying they can’t even grow the game here in Ireland

Its a noble concept this Super 11 thing but they’d be better served putting plans in place and funding them instead of pissing it away on this trip as I’ve outlined elsewhere on the forum.

Ah, I can hear him now.

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 851267, member: 180”]Wasnt hard on this occasion, Lyng trying to claim about broadening the game of hurling abroad and Woolie shut it down simply by saying they can’t even grow the game here in Ireland

Its a noble concept this Super 11 thing but they’d be better served putting plans in place and funding them instead of pissing it away on this trip as I’ve outlined elsewhere on the forum.[/quote]

I know you love the guy, I know you probably know him and for all we know (given the amount of spare time you have on your hands) you could actually be him, but as a broadcaster/pundit /contributor /analyst / general head on the radio, he’s pisspoor. It’s not that he doesn’t try, in fact, sometimes he tries too hard. It’s common to hear him getting giddy at how funny the gag he’s about to tell is until it hits the inevitable stonewall silence. Or he thinks his experience of football is equal to that of professional sports people and takes the Jim Beglin route (when I used to play for Liverpool in the early eighties…).

I actually think his personal development as a broadcaster would be helped by him contributing for a shorter period each night, rather than letting him chip in inanely on every topic they cover.

[quote=“Juhniallio, post: 851276, member: 53”]I know you love the guy, I know you probably know him and for all we know (given the amount of spare time you have on your hands) you could actually be him, but as a broadcaster/pundit /contributor /analyst / general head on the radio, he’s pisspoor. It’s not that he doesn’t try, in fact, sometimes he tries too hard. It’s common to hear him getting giddy at how funny the gag he’s about to tell is until it hits the inevitable stonewall silence. Or he thinks his experience of football is equal to that of professional sports people and takes the Jim Beglin route (when I used to play for Liverpool in the early eighties…).

I actually think his personal development as a broadcaster would be helped by him contributing for a shorter period each night, rather than letting him chip in inanely on every topic they cover.[/quote]

They’re all fair points. The thing about him is he is a genuinely mad bastard with a seriously ‘colourful’ past so hes obviously been earmarked as a kind of comedy character on the show but he isn’t actually that witty or clever and gilroy and the other nerds falling over themselves to laugh at everything he says does him no favours.
At the same time he’s no worse than the likes of murph on second captains really and at least has played one of the main sports they cover to a fairly high level.

[quote=“Tabby, post: 851278, member: 2142”]They’re all fair points. The thing about him is he is a genuinely mad bastard with a seriously ‘colourful’ past so hes obviously been earmarked as a kind of comedy character on the show but he isn’t actually that witty or clever and gilroy and the other nerds falling over themselves to laugh at everything he says does him no favours.
At the same time he’s no worse than the likes of murph on second captains really and at least has played one of the main sports they cover to a fairly high level.[/quote]
Grand, let him talk about GAA. Why have him discuss stuff he knows no more about than a lad down the pub?

[quote=“Tabby, post: 851278, member: 2142”]They’re all fair points. The thing about him is he is a genuinely mad bastard with a seriously ‘colourful’ past so hes obviously been earmarked as a kind of comedy character on the show but he isn’t actually that witty or clever and gilroy and the other nerds falling over themselves to laugh at everything he says does him no favours.
At the same time he’s no worse than the likes of murph on second captains really and at least has played one of the main sports they cover to a fairly high level.[/quote]

He was in Gilroys class in school was he not? He probably worships him from that time when he was actually half decent footballer at minor level

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 851267, member: 180”]Wasnt hard on this occasion, Lyng trying to claim about broadening the game of hurling abroad and Woolie shut it down simply by saying they can’t even grow the game here in Ireland

Its a noble concept this Super 11 thing but they’d be better served putting plans in place and funding them instead of pissing it away on this trip as I’ve outlined elsewhere on the forum.[/quote]
The GAA should at least be able to promote hurling abroad to the same level the Kabbaddi governing body promoted their sport on Channel 4 in the early 90s when its 10am weekday morning slot made it the sport of choice of the unemployed and those playing hooky from school.

He surely knows as much about soccer as murph, gilroy, joe or any of the other lads who chip in? I think you’re giving most sports journalists too much credit here.

That would explain a bit. Gilroy definitely seems to admire him more for his off field activities in a kind of ‘oh wooly you gas cunt’ kind of way.

Parkinson actually makes decent points and asks decent questions when he’s let loose on the serious analysis. He isn’t as thick as he sounds.

I don’t think the lads fall about laughing at his gags all the time. The problem could well be more to do with the editorial decisions on the show. I presume he was encouraged to act like this at first as the show chased the banter between the presenters that the previous lads had. Trying to emulate Murph who was grating but did have great rapport with McDevitt and some of the contributors is all well and good but too often he comes across as a smirking schoolboy. The previous lads are long gone now and with the exception of McDevitt aren’t missed at all, so you’d hope they would have settled into a rhythm and got comfortable as themselves. Too often they come across as trying too hard. I still like the show, just occasionally have to turn it off and it’s usually after Wooly speaks.

I was wondering that, as it is his actual voice which dances on my last nerve, I rarely take in what he’s been saying

That Leon McSweeney lad who was on this evening was interesting. His blog is a decent read too, tough work trying to scrape a decent career together in League 1 and League 2.

http://sweeneymc83blog.wordpress.com/2013/09/16/an-eye-opening-summer/

Do many of you crazy bastards listen to Gizzy Lyng and Colm Parkinson chewing the fat for a couple of hours most evenings?

Whenever I’m in the car only. Probably hear around 2 hours of it a week